Faculty member found dead in Upper Bidwell

Michael Gundlach, a management professor, was found dead in Upper Bidwell Park on Sunday.

Gundlach, who was reported missing last Friday, was found in Chico Creek above Bear Hole, according to a university email. The Butte County Coroner’s Office is investigating his cause of death, although foul play is not suspected.

Gundlach, born Aug. 10, 1973 in Ft. Lauderdale, Fla., came to Chico State in 2006, according to the email. After working as a lecturer and assistant professor in the Department of Management, he gained a tenured position in 2010.

“Michael made such a positive impact during his time with us,” said management professor Jim Morgan in the university email. “He possessed a reputation with students and with his colleagues for being a superb classroom instructor. Having co-authored with Michael, I remember fondly his ability to artfully present his thoughts and truly enjoy the writing process. But more than any other reflection, I will remember Michael as a positive and caring colleague.”

Michael is survived by his daughter, Sylvie Michelle, according to the email. While there are no plans for a memorial service, memories and condolences can be sent to Michelle at 1354 East Ave., Ste R, Box 217, Chico, CA, 95926.

Nicholas Carr can be reached at [email protected] or @theorion_news on Twitter