’Cats overpower Penguins, win opener

Another day, another end-to-end win for the Wildcats.The Chico State men’s basketball team cruised past visiting Dominican University of CaliforniaSaturday, 86-56.

The win ushers in a successful start for the Wildcats at this weekend’s Carl’s Jr. Mac Martin Invitational at Acker Gymnasium.

Chico State big man Jordan Barton tore the seal off the game with authority, out-muscling the opposition under the rim for the flush to give Chico State their first points of the game at the 19:16 mark of the first half.

The ’Cats hopped out to an early lead, capitalizing on the timely offensive burst of guard Giordana Estrada who led both teams in scoring with 12 points at the end of the first half.

With the game well in hand, the Wildcats took the locker rooms with a 42-23 half time lead over the visiting Penguins.

Chico State big man Jordan Barton proved he had more tricks up his sleeve, wowing the crowd with an emphatic finish at the 19:50 mark of the second that resulted in a trip to the free throw line. The ’Cats refused to take their foot of the gas for the remainder of regulation, buckling down on defense while staving off any sparks of life from the road team.

With tonight’s victory, the Chico State men’s basketball team improves to 3-1 on the season.

The ’Cats will look to keep their winning ways alive as they take on Seattle Pacific University on Saturday. The game begins at 7:30 p.m.

Taylor Maddox can be reached at [email protected] or @theorion_sports on Twitter.