• Taylor Swift released her new album in April. Generated by Ariana Powell using Adobe Firefly on April 24.

Injustice reigns in ‘The Handmaid’s Tale’

With America’s political climate fraught with fear and anger, “The Handmaid’s Tale” arrives as if to warn its audiences about what could happen if they stay silent against tyranny.

Hulu’s newest series is a story that has been around since 1985. It is adapted from Margaret Atwood’s novel of the same name and described as speculative fiction. Though “The Handmaid’s Tale” has been around for over 30 years, it feels relevant now more than ever.

In a totalitarian theocracy where fertility is rare, protagonist Offred (played by Elizabeth Moss) is a Handmaid, one of a class of women chosen for their ability to reproduce and to give a child to the otherwise infertile high ranking members of society. The audience is given flashbacks of Offred’s former life before she was forced into servitude.

The story is compelling and chilling. And even though some of the content of the show is disturbing, it’s hard to look away. It is beautifully shot and the images of what we are used to, like trees and cars, are contrasted against this new and strange world creating a haunting and unsettling feeling. Moss conveys hidden rage in a way that is simply masterful. Fans of the novel will notice the changes in the adaptation, but the changes are not significant enough to be mad about.

The first three episodes of “The Handmaid’s Tale” are available on Hulu, with new episodes airing on Wednesdays.

Adriana McCain can be reached at [email protected] or @theorion_arts on Twitter.