Wildcats win its second straight CCAA championship

Patrick Pace

The Chico State baseball team clinched their second straight California Collegiate Athletic Association title for the first time in school history against Cal State East Bay.

The Wildcats, who have gone 30-3 in conference play, found themselves in a battle early on in the game. They traded runs back and forth throughout the game until the bottom of the sixth.

Junior infielder Casey Henderson hit a go-ahead home run to left field to put the ‘Cats up by one, and then saved the game for the ‘Cats by making a game saving defensive play in the eighth inning.

Senior right fielder Cody Snider also had a strong game, getting two hits and scoring two runs for Chico State.

The Wildcats clinched the title with seven more games left to play in their conference. UC San Diego is the next best team for they are currently six games behind Chico State in the standings. The ‘Cats have been so dominant that if they win six more games they will have the best record in CCAA play by any team in the history of the league.

Chico State has already clinched a spot in the CCAA Championship tournament starting May 10. The ‘Cats hope to ride momentum into the postseason.

Patrick Pace can be reached at sportseditor@theorion.com or @patpacesports on Twitter.