Debunking GSEC myths

Photo credit: Jessica Johnson

Photo credit: Jessica Johnson

Photo credit: Jessica Johnson

Roberto Fonseca

The Gender and Sexuality Equity Center or GSEC, is one of the more vocal organizations at Chico State. Although the organization has typically succeeded in addressing societal issues, there’s still problems with them.

GSEC hosts events to bring awareness towards societal issues and protests against the evangelical preachers who come to Chico State. These are great examples of being advocates on the students behalf, and successfully utilizing their voice.

However, there are three significant problems with the organization. Those are the existence of a rape culture, gender identity and systematic racism, which GSEC and it’s members are not doing justice to.

GSEC hosts the “Take back the night” event once a year in order to show solidarity with rape victims and for survivors to bring light to issue of “rape culture” on college campuses.

The only problem is that rape culture on college campuses doesn’t exist.

One in five women are to be raped by the time they graduate college. This is the statistic from a 2007 Campus Sexual Assault Survey used by many to justify the claim of a “rape culture” on college campuses. This statistic, however, is massively flawed.

The study is not representative of the United States. The survey was anonymous and no one’s claims were verified and terms to describe sexual assault were very vague.

Around 5,000 women participated in the survey and about 1,000 reported being “raped.” This was determined by the authors of the survey, not the participants. Thus, the one in five number was born.Furthermore, there was only a 42 percent response rate to the survey.

The authors of the survey have since come out and said that it is inappropriate to cite these statistics to make such claims. according to a 2014 Time article written by the researchers.

The real number is that one in 53 women are to be raped at college campuses and that women are actually safer on college campuses, according to a study done by U.S. Department of Justice.

Along with the perpetuation of false statistics, GSEC members also like to claim that there are more than two genders. Despite what Bill Nye says, this is another myth.

Gender and sex are synonymous, despite what GSEC members might say. There are no scientific journals to prove that there are more than two genders.

The New Atlantic Journal did a study on the issue of gender identity, and found no supporting evidence that there was more than two genders. What people choose to identify as is different, but is not correlated with gender.

Along with the misconception of gender identity, GSEC has also been misinformed about systemic racism. This is another myth put out by GSEC members that is widely accepted.

The alleged systems that are put in place to prevent people of color from succeeding must not be doing a good job if Asians and Nigerian-Americans are making more money on average than White-Americans. according to 2015 article by Noah Smith in Bloomberg.

The National Center for Policy Analysis laid out four reasons on how not to be disadvantaged in the United States.

1. Staying in school. This is an area where Latinos and African-Americans are lacking. Staying in school allows people to develop a specialized skill set that improves their chance of getting a job.
  2. Getting a job. Another area where Latino and African Americans are falling behind by choosing to believe in racism instead of hard work.
  3. Getting married. This can help by having people supporting one another and avoiding children being born prematurely.
  4. Don’t have children out of wedlock. Latinos and African-Americans fall behind in this category.

Latino and African-American communities have to fix it themselves. White-America isn’t going to fix the problems in those communities, and screaming racism isn’t going to help.

Despite the buzzwords and excuses people like to rely on now, this is the reality of the United States. By spreading false information to other members of the community, GSEC is causing harm to people instead of helping.

Roberto Fonseca can be reached at [email protected] or @rjfonseca13 on Twitter.

242 Comments

242 Responses to “Debunking GSEC myths”

1. David Richardson on May 10th, 2017 11:48 am

This article is ABSOLUTE TRASH! It’s almost as if the author’s only information to support this article is personal opinion and maybe an outdated traditional aspect he learned from his parents. There is no differentiation between gender and sex specified in this article, which leaves me to believe the author not only has no exposure to multicultural studies, but has only acquired “information” and opinion, or more like self-opinion, from one side of the topic. I’m guessing this was an assignment rushed to satisfy a deadline, as the criteria and short-of-hand sentences depict. The Orion has disappointed me even further in context of what is allowed to be published, and singling out a particular organization to discredit them for awareness and substantial information, the foundation of safe diversity on the Chico State campus, is abhorrent. 0☆ rating if I could.

[Reply]

Senior at chico Reply:

counter the studies he cited, then

[Reply]

Marianne Reply:

https://www.cdc.gov/violenceprevention/nisvs/summaryreports.html

https://www.cdc.gov/violenceprevention/pdf/sv-datasheet-a.pdf

http://time.com/40110/rape-culture-is-real/

Burnett, Ann, et al. “Communicating/muting date rape: A co-cultural theoretical analysis of communication factors related to rape culture on a college campus.” Journal of Applied Communication Research 37.4 (2009): 465-485.

Klaw, Elena L., et al. “Challenging rape culture: Awareness, emotion and action through campus acquaintance rape education.” Women & Therapy 28.2 (2005): 47-63.

Feagin, Joe. Systemic racism: A theory of oppression. Routledge, 2013.

De Plevitz, Loretta. “Systemic racism: the hidden barrier to educational success for Indigenous school students.” Australian Journal of Education 51.1 (2007): 54-71.

Feagin, Joe R., and Bernice McNair Barnett. “Success and failure: How systemic racism trumped the Brown v. Board of Education decision.” U. Ill. L. Rev. (2004): 1099.

Wesely, Jennifer K. “Negotiating gender: Bodybuilding and the natural/unnatural continuum.” Sociology of Sport Journal 18.2 (2001): 162-180.

Carroll, Lynne, Paula J. Gilroy, and Jo Ryan. “Counseling transgendered, transsexual, and gender-variant clients.” Journal of Counseling and Development: JCD 80.2 (2002): 131.

[Reply]

Angry Feminist Reply:

Yaaas, give me life!

Joseph Simmons Reply:

You should have learned this in the “Intro to Logic” class you were forced to take to attend Chico. You have a claim, and you’ve provided what you consider to be evidence, and now you have to somehow link the two. Otherwise you just look like an idiot dropping a bunch of urls.

Sophomore Reply:

I also think that this article is extremely problematic, but I would love to see counter sources.

[Reply]

Gray Sarinax Reply:

“There is no differentiation between gender and sex specified in this article, which leaves me to believe the author not only has no exposure to multicultural studies”

This must be a joke.

[Reply]

Junior Reply:

Hi David,

You just literally raped me with what you wrote. I was the last woman in Chico to not be raped by this rape culture. Now I have AIDS.

Junior at Chico

[Reply]

2. Taylor on May 10th, 2017 12:39 pm

Please speak with 5 women, 5 transgender, and 5 Latinx Americans before you make outrageous claims that silences the experiences of a large population of students on the Chico State campus.
    You should be ashamed of this article.

[Reply]

Junior Reply:

I couldn’t find any Latinx Americans. How about Latinb Americans? Can I substitute 2 Latinb Americans for 5 Lantinx? I guess I can look it up online, right? I just don’t know if we should be mixing Latinx with any other of the specific buckets you have mentioned. Latinm seems to flow well with the womynx^3 version 5 type r. Think they would have any Latin5 Americans at WinCo?

Junior at Chico
    3rd wave Feminism is cancer
    Look at who your real oppressors are
    Fight the Power

[Reply]

Anonymous Reply:

I laughed too hard lol

[Reply]

ryjo69 Reply:

https://yourlogicalfallacyis.com/genetic

[Reply]

3. Marianne on May 10th, 2017 1:08 pm

This article is flawed and full of inaccurate statistics used to justify an anti feminist agenda. The correct statistic cited by your study in question is that one in five women will experience sexual assault by the time they graduate college. The New Atlantic Journal is not a reputable news source and has been repeatedly cited for false information . There are two sexes, but nearly all researchers agree gender is a continuum. Sex is one’s biological assignment, gender is one’s chosen presentation to the outside world and fluid, even from culture to culture. There are thousands of scholarly pieces of work supporting that your claim of none is a complete fabrication . Your “facts” are actually false and your interpretations show clear bias of someone who intends to rape and get away with it. Unlike GSEC who teaches verifiable facts that save lives.

[Reply]

Nicole Reply:

Actually, there are three sexes–the third being intersex, which is also related but separate from gender. Here’s just one ACADEMIC article from the peer-reviewed Journal of the American Medical Association, which further complicates the issue (because these are complex issues that shouldn’t be simplified for the sake of making people feel comfortable): http://jamanetwork.com/journals/jama/fullarticle/197722

The author should really start adhering to the rule: “If I can’t cite it in my college paper, I shouldn’t cite in my journalistic opinion piece.”

[Reply]

Chase Beauregard Reply:

You know intersex people are such a tiny portion of the population that we don’t even have an accurate estimate of how many there are, right? It is also a genetic disorder and usually has deleterious effects on affected individuals.

[Reply]

College Professor Reply:

Gender is a social construct, whereas sex is biologically defined. People who identify as transgendered or intersexed do not necessarily have a gender identity disorder: individuals would have to be anxious or distressed by an uncontrollable urge to live that way, and severe impairments in psychosocial functioning must be present in order to fit the diagnostic criteria for diagnosis. Often we find that many impaitments in functioning are brought about by interactions within the social environment: in acccepting social environments such impaitments are greatly reduced.

Nicole Reply:

It’s actually more common than you think; and there are many people and medical providers who would argue that being intersex is not at all deleterious to one’s health. What is proven to have terrible health and psychological effects is our aggressive medical interventions on intersex babies that cause unnecessary complications and often result in multiple and painful surgeries and shame.

Check out some great documentaries: http://www.isna.org/videos

ryjo69 Reply:

The ‘1-in-5’ claim was based on a 2007 internet study with vaguely-worded questions, a low response rate, and a non-representative sample.

https://www.ncjrs.gov/pdffiles1/nij/grants/221153.pdf

According to the US Bureau of Justice Statistics, the actual number is 1-in-53. While 1 in 7.3 Billion rapes is still far too many, 1 in 53 is a long leap from 1 in 5.

https://www.bjs.gov/content/pub/pdf/rsavcaf9513.pdf

[Reply]

Junior Reply:

“Unlike GSEC who teaches verifiable facts that save lives.”

You literally raped me with this comment. On the plus side, these other comments raped me well before you did so I wasn’t the last woman in Chico to not be raped by the rape culture.

However your comment did give me cancer.

Junior at Chico
    Be the real resistance
    Fight the oppressive power structure

[Reply]

4. Alice on May 10th, 2017 1:58 pm

Rape culture is THIS!!! This would be a perfect EXHIBIT A!!!! Why exactly did you feel the need to target GSEC? What I’m curious about more than anything, is what harm you believe GSEC has caused with their mission? Your mission will get people sexually assaulted, theirs saves lives.

Dear editors: please remove this person from your staff. He is not representative of the safe culture this school is about. His dangerous attitudes will only serve to scare more people into not bringing their rapists to justice.

[Reply]

Jacob Reply:

This school is not about being safe. No school should ever be about being safe, especially from bad or controversial ideas.

[Reply]

Jane Reply:

“Safe culture” is code for “you need to believe in my hardline radical liberal views otherwise you LITERALLY want rapists and hate crimes”.

Nobody is buying that bullshit anymore. Sure, I’ll bite that this article might have faulty data.

But instead of trying to get the author fired/censored, write an article with good solid sources refuting him.

The fact that the university leftists seem to always want to censor anybody that doesn’t agree with them is such a disgrace to academia.

Combat speech, don’t censor you cowards.

[Reply]

Gray Sarinax Reply:

Exactly this. Those with GSEC only support their speech and the silencing of others. They are hateful and spiteful and only breed division. GSEC should be removed from Chico State for the protection of the students.

Junior Reply:

Alice,

Why are you such a Nazi?

Junior at Chico

[Reply]

Natalie Reply:

Don’t remove him. Not that you would or could. He’s the perfect representation of what is actually going on in a students mind; the majority of those fools anyway. He’s a sterling, perfect example of the Orion, the 2016-17 school year, the town itself which is becoming a parody. If college was any safer, why’d I just have to watch a shirtless drugged out psycho get arrested in front of the humanities building? I see enough of that off campus. This guy, his swooping statements, and inapplicable studies from everywhere BUT Chico are just freaking aces! So glad I’m done with this school.

[Reply]

5. Christine Connerly on May 10th, 2017 2:00 pm

You make a large number of claims based on your opinion with no research or data to support it. It appears you wrote this with the express purpose of provoking people. Are you preparing for a career with Breitbart or a similar “news” organization?

[Reply]

6. Rachel Ballard on May 10th, 2017 2:17 pm

I am so confused as to how this “newspaper” is still running. This article along with half of the rubbish that comes from the Orion is trash. Just let Brandi give us recipes and leave us in peace.

[Reply]

7. Darcy on May 10th, 2017 2:49 pm

This dangerous, hurtful op-ed has no place in this or any paper. Telling genderqueer / gender non conforming readers that they don’t exist is an act of violence. The faculty advisors of this paper MUST step up and do better.

[Reply]

Kim Reply:

As an agender person who read this article and felt very attacked and vulnerable (who usually feels very safe on this campus) I really needed to read this comment. Thank you.

[Reply]

Junior Reply:

“As an agender person”

Seek help.

Junior at Chico
    3rd wave feminism is cancer

[Reply]

lmao Reply:

Yes feminism is cancer- thats why women have been abandoning it in the thousands!

Bill nye Reply:

It is unfortuantely a student run paper which is why is usually produces garbage, however majority of the Journalism Professors are in agreement, that this author has no knowledge regarding how to research and what is good research. A response rate of 42% is an incredibly good response rate and I won’t even get into the number of journals out there that refute your points. Good luck in your future journalism career bud, you’ll need it.

[Reply]

8. Ryan on May 10th, 2017 2:54 pm

In our world of alternative facts, Roberto has a bright future. But which will he choose? Breitbart? Lifesitenews.com? Which proto-fascist rag will pick him up for his convenient opinions?

[Reply]

omer Reply:

probably a anchor for fox news tbh.

[Reply]

9. Gillian R on May 10th, 2017 3:03 pm

An opinion piece is “Why Salads are actually good” Not a trashy article which uses news articles (not academic or scientific sources) to justify outright lies, then publishing it as an opinion piece so that people can’t criticize it because its “just an opinion.”

[Reply]

Senior at chico Reply:

counter the studies he cited, then

[Reply]

Gama Reply:

It’s unnecessary to cite articles when the journalist that is being paid is not required to. He disregards the unheard, discredits rape culture, and spews regurgitated white man opinions that we already have dealt with our whole lives. FUCK THIS RAPE CULTURE.

[Reply]

Marianne Reply:

[Reply]

omer Reply:

lmaaaaaaoooooo this is the second time senior asked for a counter to the sources and the second time Marianne countered the cited sources in two different comments. Senior, are you delusional, just read it the first time. I wonder if this is why these alt facts people are dumb sometimes

10. Maxwell on May 10th, 2017 3:06 pm

This Opinion piece is purely that, an opinion. The New Atlantic is a conservative think tank, not a peer-reviewed science journal. The idea that students are safe from victimization, rape, and sexual assault on college campuses is absurd. And to reject the overwhelming evidence that gender is a spectrum and that sex and gender are distinct terms that refer to biology and identity respectively is uneducated. Additionally, why target this attack on the GSEC in particular?

The Orion should do better. Stop passing this trash off as a “valid perspective” just for the click bait and page views.

[Reply]

Mark Reply:

The author who wrote this article even quoted a video from PragerU, a site ran by a guy who defended Jerry Sandusky. Y’know, the same Sandusky who sexually assaulted all those kids over multiple years…

[Reply]

Senior at chico Reply:

genetic fallacy, Mark. tsk tsk

[Reply]

11. Skyla on May 10th, 2017 3:09 pm

It’s so sad to see people perpetuating false beliefs like the ones in this article. It goes to show, The Orion still publishes trash harmful to its fellow students. By sharing such inaccurate information, you’re attempting to devalue and ostricise folks who are just looking for help. Spend a day in my shoes and you’ll see how valid my gender identity is and how seperate it is from my sex. All me and many others are trying to do is exist and go about our days, safe and authentic. When people like you come in and try and dismantle our validity through ignorance it perpetuates the hate we fight everyday. I wish you the opportunity to have your eyes opened to the reality of the world and those around you. I wish you the blessing of humility that you may someday know the struggles of the people you attempted to dehumanize in this article. Good luck.

[Reply]

Senior at chico Reply:

counter the studies he cited, then

[Reply]

Marianne Reply:

[Reply]

omer Reply:

this is the third time, senior, the third facklng time.

[Reply]

junior student Reply:

This is the third time scholarly, peer reviewed journal articles have been cited to counter argue this ignorant article. Rape culture most definitely exists on this campus as well as within the framework of our society. The normalization of rape culture gets us nowhere, and arguing that it doesn’t exist in the first place takes us another step backwards. The so called “Rape Trail” on campus that leads from Yolo Fields to Rio is evidence of the normalization of rape culture on our own campus. I would recommend the author of this article take some MCGS or sociology classes so that they can have a better understanding of the world we live in and the people that live in it.

[Reply]

Junior Reply:

“scholarly, peer reviewed journal articles”

I like to think that scholarly, peer reviewed journal articles have some type of actual hard evidence and statistics to back them up. There is a little. The issue is, can a person actually reproduce the results. No. This is garbage. Postmodern theory is bunk, people just don’t take the time to read. Stop listening to these whackjobs, start reading.

Junior at Chico
    3rd wave feminism is cancer
    Fight the ‘social justice’ oppressors

12. April Abarrondo on May 10th, 2017 3:37 pm

By now your writers, editors, and advisor have received actual facts that dispute the ones presented in this piece.

It is embarrassing to be part of a community where this was published and circulated.

I look forward to seeing how this publication rectifies this latest mess. It will have to be by word of mouth, because I am reluctant to give the Orion another click-through.

[Reply]

13. Chris on May 10th, 2017 3:44 pm

This is hate speech. Pure and simple. You are falesly representing the views of this school. To anyone who reads this: this individual is NOT representative of the majority of the school. No matter what, organizations on campus will continue to use valid and useful data to keep fighting to keep students safe. To the Orion: please remove this dangerous person from your staff.

[Reply]

Senior at chico Reply:

counter the studies he cited, then

[Reply]

Marianne Reply:

[Reply]

junior student Reply:

[Reply]

Sophomore Reply:

I wouldn’t exactly call him “dangerous.” Sure, the pen is mightier than the sword, but there is nothing in this article that even suggests violence in any sort of way except in context. I think the article should be reviewed and refuted, but I don’t think the author had any intent of causing physical harm to anyone.

[Reply]

Gray Sarinax Reply:

You do not understand why they choose words like this. Everything that goes against their worldview is dangerous, hurtful, sexist, racist, etc. These extreme words are used to silence their critics. They have been teaching this at GSEC for some time now. They are truly hurtful and dangerous people. They should be stopped.

[Reply]

14. Jason Wegener on May 10th, 2017 3:52 pm

I am incredibly disappointed that this is considered print-worthy by the Orion.

This is a thinly veiled attack piece on the GSEC, with little substance to warrant its claims. This post serves no purpose but to hurt people.

Please be better than this, Orion. I’d like to be proud to be a Chico State Alum, but you’re not making it easy.

[Reply]

Senior at chico Reply:

counter the studies he cited, then

[Reply]

Marianne Reply:

[Reply]

junior student Reply:

@senior
    is that all you have to say? The articles have been cited multiple times by now, have you even looked at them once?

[Reply]

Gray Sarinax Reply:

They don’t actually read the studies. These are very intellectually dishonest people. Just look at the replies to this article. Hateful and fiery. GSEC should be done away with.

15. Mark on May 10th, 2017 4:09 pm

The Orion is a disgrace. Roberto’s column is a disgrace. Chico State allowing these vile ideas to spread is a disgrace. I understand the paper’s intent to try to foster an equal sided debate, but on many issues that’s not possible because the opposite side is wrong. Roberto is wrong. Your ideas perpetuate violence against students on this campus, people of cooor on this campus, and LGTBQ+ people on this campus. Words and ideas spread and will encourage violence. The fact that Chico State and the Orion allow these ignorant and dangerous opinions to be published show they do not truly care about the live sand well-being of our students. They do not care about our lives. This school is a newspaper will remain a disgrace unless they truly rectify this situation.

[Reply]

Senior at chico Reply:

counter the studies he cited, then

[Reply]

Susan Reply:

Senior: counter information has been posted here numerous times. If you even bother to read some of the posts you will see people giving credible evidence to refute the article.

[Reply]

16. DJ Morris on May 10th, 2017 4:20 pm

I’m extremely disappointed in the Orion for allowing this. Freedom of Speech is important. Different views is important. This piece was in poor taste.

[Reply]

Senior Reply:

Sounds good. Can you write your email because we want you to be the judge on whether something is covered by free speech or is too poor of taste to be published.

[Reply]

Gray Sarinax Reply:

Only DJ Morris can be the judge on what is ok to be printed or not. Didn’t you know that? DJ is the center of the world and if you don’t think so, you must be a racist sexist. You’re not a racist sexist, are you? Good, then DJ dictates what is free speech or not.

[Reply]

DJ Morris Reply:

So immature lol

DJ Morris Reply:

And if you need help search my name on this website (;

DJ Morris Reply:

lol don’t be salty at me for responding to such a disgusting, sloppy written “opinion” piece. Do better next time. Lol

[Reply]

17. Avo on May 10th, 2017 4:49 pm

Wow, I am scared for all of my GSM (gender and sexuality minority) friends who attend this University. Luckily, I chose a university to attend to this fall that is not nearly as transphobic as this staff member is proving to be. Who ok’d this to print? This “opinion” piece is exactly that, pure opinion. There is ABSOLUTELY no “scientific” evidence to back up these claims that erase large groups of people within my community. This person may think that gender and sex are “synonymous” when those term in fact are not and , within the last year, academically the differences have now been clarified.

As far as Rape Culture goes, how can it not exist if the author doesn’t even try to explain what a Rape Culture is? How is the reader to know what the author considers rape or a culture that promotes it? These are only a few of many concerns I have with this article, and the journalism displayed by its production.

My two cents as a NB person, who can literally move to another state that validates my existence (Oregon). If whole states are validating my identity, it obviously exists.

Disappointing in the very least to read, and a sad day for CSU and their Journalism department.

[Reply]

18. Jake Doyle on May 10th, 2017 5:02 pm

This is literally an opinion piece that uses other opinion pieces as “valid sources.” I get the whole free speech thing but this is absolute garbage. It’s hard to believe that this guy isn’t just attempting to troll everyone. I understand that having a multitude of opinions is essential to free speech and news but this is just misinformed. But I guess you can get away with misinformation in the era of Trump.

[Reply]

Senior at chico Reply:

counter the studies he cited, then

[Reply]

junior student Reply:

[Reply]

19. Alex Martinez on May 10th, 2017 5:07 pm

It’s very disappointing to know that there are people out there thinking they can do this and then file it under “opinion piece” when the author clearly has some “facts”. How this got passed along to print, I am unsure but some changes need to occur if we have some individual just typing up his or her opinion and straight out attacking a group on campus.

It saddens me to read the whole article especially the subject which is clearly aimed towards people like me, but hey I don’t exist according to this author! Shame on the Orion for publishing this. Shame of the author to say rape culture does not exist.
    People like this are the reason I have anxiety / was depressed, I’ve never felt safe on campus at night, etc. At least the group he attacked helps people feel safe, instead of saying they do not exist. It’s fucking infuriating! What a joke.

[Reply]

Senior at chico Reply:

counter the studies he cited, then

[Reply]

junior student Reply:

[Reply]

20. PD on May 10th, 2017 5:10 pm

You are skillful at moving goal posts but your argument is chronically flawed.

Rape culture conceptually includes social attitudes that trivialize rape, kind of like this:
    http://www.newsweek.com/campus-rapists-and-semantics-297463

It does not require that the number of rapes happening be higher in college than in the rest of the world, merely that there is a common tendency to trivialize rape among college students.

Further, your own link to “discredit” the 1-5 (sexual assault not rape is the claim from the study you have purposefully misrepresented, beautiful strawman BTW) doesn’t say what you claim it does, and in fact clearly states that their work targets different types of events (pg2).

What you are attempting to use as your evidence doesn’t include incidents where the victim is unable to provide consent (such as passed out from alcohol use), coercion, and unwanted sexual contact, all things that do fall under the umbrella term of sexual assault in the study you strawmanned.

The CDC published a report that is closer aligned with the description used by that study you want to discredit. Perhaps you’ll note on page 55 the weighted percentage of unwanted sexual contact among female victims in the United States is listed as 23.1%, which is pretty damn close to that one in 5 stat if you bother to actually use the term “sexual assault” which would include rape but is not exclusively rape. https://www.cdc.gov/violenceprevention/nisvs/summaryreports.html

The CDC used a nationally representative study of adults and noted 19% of undergraduate women have experienced a rape attempt since entering college (page 2 under the header “college age”)

Now let me guess- the rest of your trash is just as easily debunked?
    The New Atlantis Journal is a social conservative advocacy group. The National Center for Policy Analysis is likewise, a right-wing think tank.

Where you’ve decided that gender and sex are synonymous, it’s not just GSEC that says they are different. The World Health Organization defines them differently. The Publication Manual of the American Psychological Association says they are different.

So maybe you need to work on your own understanding, before you move to convince anyone of anything.

[Reply]

21. Cody Joh on May 10th, 2017 5:21 pm

Holy cow… dude, you should be ashamed. Not as ashamed as your editor, but this is wild.

As a White guy, it’s definitely those people that are perpetuating the hate. Clearly you don’t know why important issues perpetuate even if they’re not currently happening. If you did, you’d understand why the March for Science or Women’s Rights was such a huge issue this year.

Also, YOU ARE PERPETUATING THE PROBLEM BY BLAMING GROUPS OF PEOPLE! You say it’s the white people who have the problems but they’re not going to change so minorities need to, women’s issues, historical or current, don’t matter, and you offer no real suggestions.

Sit down Tomi Lahren. Orion, better, whoever hires for the Orion, you need to do your job better.

[Reply]

Senior at chico Reply:

counter the studies he cited, then

[Reply]

Lindsey Rein Reply:

He is the editor. He’s the opinion editor for The Orion. Hence why it got on there probably.

[Reply]

22. Roberto Gonzalez on May 10th, 2017 5:50 pm

Are we to deny the first amendment right to the writer of this article? Each comment expresses an opinion based on the perception, culture of the person writing it. Where does the truth lies? We easily find the wrong in anything when our perception is highly inflexible. I would suggest to read each article and critique in a manner reflective of the writer’s state of mind. More than likely you will not be able to do so. Hence, to critique, give your opinion such as that of the write or for that matter anyone, does not make it the truth. The point is this, to have difference of opinions is healthy for communication as long as it remains in the realm of physical inactivity. As some one said a long time ago, if you are free of imperfections, then throw the first stone. It is so easy to judge someone but highly difficult to accept our own faults.

[Reply]

David H Reply:

Yea, sure, as if he didn’t post this article specifically to illicit a reaction and make people mad. You can say whatever you want in an oped here I guess, even if you choose to pick a fight with the LGBT community and rape victims in the same article. Maybe he considers himself a journalist or whatever but Roberto Fonseca is a troll if I’ve ever seen one. Going after GSEC was a terminally idiotic move.

[Reply]

Gray Sarinax Reply:

“Going after GSEC was a terminally idiotic move.”

You are so right, David. No one should be able to go after GSEC. GSEC should honestly just run Chico State. If you don’t agree, you are a racist sexist homophone who is ‘terminally’ idiotic. We need more funded positions with GSEC so we can silence ANYONE who dares speak ill of GSEC.

Only GSEC is the truth. As David says, you are terminal if you do not agree.

[Reply]

David H Reply:

He can do and say whatever he wants, obviously. I didn’t say anything about him being a racist or a ‘homophone’ – try using spell check some time, by the way.

The author seemed to care more about getting lots of views than checking his facts or supporting his arguments, so he picked 3 issues that he knew would make students angry and then spouted some random bs.

Christine Reply:

What are you attempting to say here? Are you defending the opinion piece? Your writing is unclear and reads like gibberish. A university education is meant to teach critical thinking, logic, reasoning, and supporting ideas with researched and substantive facts. Saying things merely to provoke is trolling, not journalism. Perhaps the line between the two is getting increasingly blurred in the online world of “news,” but a university newspaper should have higher standards.

[Reply]

23. Grace on May 10th, 2017 6:17 pm

The Orion is such an embarrassment to Chico State.

[Reply]

24. Jessica on May 10th, 2017 6:57 pm

These are not myths. They are not debunked.

[Reply]

Senior at chico Reply:

counter the studies he cited, then

[Reply]

junior student Reply:

[Reply]

25. Caitlin on May 10th, 2017 7:07 pm

Putting aside the problems with the content/premise of this op-ed (which has already been skillfully broken down by the other commentators), who in the hell edited this garbage?

I get that this is a college paper, but the author has made glaring mistakes in: syntax, scentence structure, word use, punctuation, and even capitalization. Get your shit together, Orion.

[Reply]

Alyssa Reply:

This is a MAJOR reason why I can’t take this paper seriously.

[Reply]

Nanelle Reply:

Exactly! Why anyone can even see past the glaring errors is beyond me. This writer needs to have some remediation in spelling and grammar. The Orion needs to look at their editing process first. If you are going to attempt to say something that is inflammatory, you had better do a damn good job doing so or you will just end up looking foolish and uneducated. Conversely, all the people getting so riled up over his opinion should be smarter and simply point out that his writing is so poor that it is not to be taken seriously.

[Reply]

26. 2genders on May 10th, 2017 7:31 pm

Could someone please tell me what chromosome dictates all these other genders?

[Reply]

A non-asshole Reply:

Note to folks seeing this: he’s just mad because he can’t get laid.

[Reply]

2genders Reply:

*sobbing* HE/SHE is right…. See what I did there?!

[Reply]

junior student Reply:

That is not funny. Just because you as an individual identify in a traditional gender binary doesn’t mean that everyone does. Try to educate yourself on the stories of people in GSEC and other organizations before making jokes about something you are choosing to not understand. I am sure that if you tried a little harder, you could gain a better understanding of the struggles that people in the LGBTQ community face. Please don’t joke about things that are so serious and integral to the lives and identities of other people here at this school.

Senior at chico Reply:

counter the studies he cited, then

[Reply]

junior student Reply:

Junior Reply:

I was just literally sexually assaulted by ‘a non-assholes’ reply. WHY CAN’T THE UNIVERSITY PROTECT ME WHEN I AM ON THE INTERNET!? CHICO IS SUPPOSED TO BE A SAFE PLACE FOR WOMYNX BUT I AM BEING SEXUALLY ASSAULTED OVER MY COMPUTER. I DEMAND CHICO REMOVE ALL WOMEN FROM CAMPUS BECAUSE I THINK ‘a non-asshole’ IS A WOMAN AND NOT A WOMYNX I AM UNDERREPRESENTED ON CAMPUS

REMOVE ALL CONFLICT I NEED A SAFE SPACE

Junior at Chico
    3rd wave feminism is cancer

[Reply]

Adam Balakian Reply:

The 24th one

[Reply]

Religion of Peace Reply:

maybe ice-cream having an orgy will make you tolerant of degeneracy

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=46h-LfNWPn8

[Reply]

27. Jeremy on May 10th, 2017 7:52 pm

This article is embarrassingly bad. The piss poor sourcing and pretentious tone are bad enough, but the material itself is what I would expect out of an eighth grader fudging out a paper the hour before it’s due.

The article’s claim that there are only two genders is something that I recon every single MCGS professor on campus would love to contend with, but the final section, where the author seems to very not subtly insinuate that people of color are disproportionately poor because they’re lazy what really gets me.

First, what do racial issues even have to do with GSEC in the first place? Second, aren’t all four of the things the author embarrassingly claims people of color should do instead of “choosing to believe in racism instead of hard work” all only possible in stable economic circumstances? Isn’t this like a textbook example of begging the question? Orion writers have to take PHIL 102 like the rest of us, right?

Overall, this article is shit, and the writer should feel like shit. I hope Orion leadership deals with this before it gets out of hand.

[Reply]

28. Janja Lalich on May 10th, 2017 7:55 pm

This op-ed piece is pure rubbish. The Orion staff need to check out their values in deciding to publish a diatribe filled with misinformation and a blatant attack on one of the most important and effective student centers on campus.

[Reply]

Senior at chico Reply:

counter the studies he cited, then

[Reply]

junior student Reply:

[Reply]

junior student Reply:

Couldn’t agree more Professor Lalich!

[Reply]

Gray Sarinax Reply:

Janja Lalich, Sociology. One of the more worthless degrees on campus I must say.

How dare someone attack GSEC, which attacks everyone who does not buy into their cult. How intellectually dishonest you are Professor Lalich. You are a hateful and spiteful ideologue. GSEC should be removed from campus.

[Reply]

29. Laura on May 10th, 2017 8:52 pm

This is a dangerous article and is absolutely disgusting. The author should be ashamed. The editor who approved it should be ashamed. How DARE you attack your fellow students with such shallow, faceless claims. This is the sort of language which perpetuates the rape culture, erasure, and racism it claims do not exist. Look around at the beautiful diversity on the campus you are privileged to attend and check your god damn self. Editors, if you are allowing hateful content such as this to be published and allowing this writer to continue, you are very quickly going to lose whatever readership, credibility, and respect as a paper that you may have left, but this should be the last of your concerns behind the safety of those at risk on our campus. The writer and editors owe our community a serious apology and raising of standards. I’ll be watching this article and expecting such a response.

[Reply]

Senior at chico Reply:

counter the studies he cited, then

[Reply]

TPS Reply:

*TRIGGERED* REEEEEEEEEEE!

[Reply]

Nanelle Reply:

Dangerous? Seriously? That’s like saying a toddler running around with a plastic sword is dangerous. Come on! The editors job here is to ALLOW differing opinions. Even if they include what some people think will incite violence, because that is also an opinion. I think this article is atrocious, but if there were one with a clear and well-written message, I would expect it to print. People would still call for censorship and scream that it was intolerant. The world is NOT a safe place. It will never be! You go to college to learn how to function within that world. You will never be free of people who don’t like you, or don’t agree with you. Grow up and get over it! How about all you people that are so upset write a rebuttal and go get it published. As a 2014 Chico State graduate, I’m disgusted by the fact that this garbage was published but I’m equally disgusted by this generation expecting everyone to accept and like them. This is Or based in reality. I believe that everyone should be loved and accepted but I don’t run around telling people to love and accept me. It would be an exercise in futility. It’s up to you to find your own safe space-but when you leave your home and head out into the real world, you had better put on your big girl panties because you are going to need them!

[Reply]

30. Chase Beauregard on May 10th, 2017 8:56 pm

The majority of these comments are just hysterical. People rarely comment on the poorly thought-out, error-ridden schlock that makes up The Orion, but because this guy dares to go against the dominant opinion of his peers, he is attacked by fear-mongering jerks. Did we even read the same article? His words do not equate to violence, or defending rape, or anything of the sort! When did he threaten anyone with violence, or “dehumanize” anyone, whatever that means? I’m extremely disappointed with the childish and hyperbolic reaction of my fellow students to a difference in opinion. Grow up, and learn to make reasonable arguments that aren’t just personal attacks and appeals to emotion.

[Reply]

Christine Reply:

There are plenty of reasonable arguments against this trolling attempt at an opinion piece that lacks any credible sources and was clearly written solely to make people angry. If the author had actually used reputable sources and written a coherent essay, it would have been far easier to defend. As it is, the article has no merit except as click bait.

[Reply]

Senior at chico Reply:

counter the studies he cited, then

[Reply]

Sophomore Reply:

I agree with this. Stop allowing your emotions to get in the way of PROVING this guy wrong. When you get devensive, no one wins. You’re smarter than this, Chico State.

[Reply]

Nanelle Reply:

I would hope so, but it doesn’t appear to be the case. 😕

[Reply]

31. Cathryn on May 10th, 2017 9:02 pm

The audacity to talk about how rape culture doesn’t exist when this very paper published about a rape this semester from an on-campus fraternity. BTW this author has been publishing trash all year and was just promoted to the opinion editor. Its fine to have opinions based on your own experiences, its not fine to get a platform to attack groups you disagree with . Please call this paper and tell them to do better. Editor-in-Chief, Carly Plemons, who can be reached at 530-898-5627 or via email at [email protected].

[Reply]

Senior at chico Reply:

counter the studies he cited, then

[Reply]

Nicki Reply:

http://time.com/3633903/campus-rape-1-in-5-sexual-assault-setting-record-straight/ – as far as I can tell, this article, which he sighted is saying 1 in 5 is not the correct number, however, as far as I can tell that’s not exactly what they were trying to say. Here is the actual paragraphs they said inappropriate in:
    As two of the researchers who conducted the Campus Sexual Assault Study from which this number was derived, we feel we need to set the record straight. Although we used the best methodology available to us at the time, there are caveats that make it inappropriate to use the 1-in-5 number in the way it’s being used today, as a baseline or the only statistic when discussing our country’s problem with rape and sexual assault on campus.
    First and foremost, the 1-in-5 statistic is not a nationally representative estimate of the prevalence of sexual assault, and we have never presented it as being representative of anything other than the population of senior undergraduate women at the two universities where data were collected—two large public universities, one in the South and one in the Midwest.
    Second, the 1-in-5 statistic includes victims of both rape and other forms of sexual assault, such as forced kissing or unwanted groping of sexual body parts—acts that can legally constitute sexual battery and are crimes. To limit the statistic to include rape only, meaning unwanted sexual penetration, the prevalence for senior undergraduate women drops to 14.3%, or 1 in 7 (again, limited to the two universities we studied).

https://www.rainn.org/statistics/victims-sexual-violence

[Reply]

Marianne Reply:

[Reply]

32. Bobby Joe on May 10th, 2017 9:15 pm

“The Orion should not allow this”

The author did, in fact, publish this in the opinions column. You can disagree with what he has to say, by all means, but to try to censor and spread suppress him for his view is terrifying. Shame on you folk.

[Reply]

Athena Murphy Reply:

No one is entitled to opinions or platforms. Both must be earned. He does not earn either with this piece, as it is exceptionally poorly researched. Designating it an opinion piece doesn’t magically make that acceptable. Intentionally or not, he misrepresents data in an attempt to discredit an esteemed student organization. If he genuinely takes issue with aspects GSEC, he isn’t doing his position any favors with such sloppy arguments. It’s hyperbolic to characterize calls for integrity as “terrifying.” This was an objectively bad piece of writing that had no business being published.

[Reply]

Senior at chico Reply:

counter the studies he cited, then

[Reply]

Athena Murphy Reply:

1) Username “PD” addressed many of these studies at 5:10 pm, a full six hours before I commented. Seeing as how you didn’t copy and paste this zinger on that thread as well, it must be up to your standards.

2) I was responding to the premise that having an opinion was carte blanche to lazily spew them publically.

3) To suggest that a reader has more of a responsibility to do her homework than a journalist is nonsensical.

Chase Beauregard Reply:

Almost stopped reading at “no one is entitled to opinions.” Also, I think you could characterize most articles in the Orion opinion section as exceptionally poorly researched bad pieces of writing. Yet for some reason, we fail to see the same calls for journalistic rigor for those articles — articles that glorify drug use, alcoholism and party culture (ironic, as alcohol is the number one rape drug). Could it be that because these opinions are popularly held, few bother to challenge them?

[Reply]

Athena Murphy Reply:

1) Your condensation aside, I maintain that no one is entitled to opinions. If you do not earn your opinions through active consideration, you are merely parroting back someone else’s opinion, not holding your own.

2) My criticisms pertain to this specific article. While there were comments that conflated the missteps of this article with the performance of the entire publication, mine was not one of them.

3) I have the right to choose my battles; to speak out on the issues that resonate with me. I am under no obligation to call out all horrendous articles or none at all.

4) Similarly, you have the right to bother to challenge any popularly held opinion that tickles your fancy.

Sophomore Reply:

I DID stop reading at “no one is entitled to opinions.” What country do you live in? Because I live in America, and we believe and RESERVE THE RIGHT to free speech. Or have I been taught incorrectly my whole life?

Bobby Jo Reply:

“Similarly, you have the right to bother to challenge any popularly held opinion that tickles your fancy.”

And we are entirely entitled to those opinions. Radical or not, one’s opinion is just that, his OWN. He has every right to that opinion. I may not agree with it, but I will adamantly defend his right to have that opinion. In a world where we feel like we’re “entitled” to everything, an opinion and free thought should be one of the few universal “entitlements”.

Athena Murphy Reply:

You have the right not to be locked up for voicing ill-informed opinion. You are not entitled to a platform from which to those opinions. More importantly, no one else is required to treat those ill-informed opinions as sacred.

Bobby Jo Reply:

Your original ‘opinion’ that nobody is entitled to opinions remains ludicrous and terrifying, frankly. I can understand not intentionally providing a platform for such things, but I don’t believe that he should necessarily be restricted because his goes “against the grain” so to speak. As previously noted, you’d struggle to find many well-informed opinions on the Orion (See: Doug Lamalfa should be a liberal because he’s in California). His level of “information” isn’t against the status quo of this publication, which is a perfectly reasonable criticism. The outrage here comes because nobody likes his opinion.

Chase Beauregard Reply:

Your view that no one is entitled to an opinion is just that — your opinion. How does one “earn” an opinion? Can you name a person whose opinions are not influenced by those of anybody around them? In order for that to be true, one would have to never speak to anyone or read anything. This is absurd.

TPS Reply:

You don’t get to decide what constitutes free speech. I’d tend to agree with you, but we still gave that idiot Bernie a platform to speak.

[Reply]

33. Lindsay Briggs on May 10th, 2017 9:26 pm

I am gravely disappointed in this article, the Orion and the Journalism Department that has allowed this “journalist” to continue his harm and embarrassment on behalf of Chico State. It is disingenuous, and frankly insulting, to insinuate that this “opinion piece” represents a valid argument even worthy of being protected under the free press. As noted above, this article is garbage, both in content and in style. As an academic institution we should strive to have better standards than Breitbart and other faux news from the alt-right. Roberto has every right to his uninformed and stupid opinions, but Chico State nor the Orion should provide him the platform to spew misinformation, damaging rhetoric, and poor writing skills. After reaching out to student staff and professional staff and faculty I remain unsatisfied that the Orion understands the gravity of the harm caused by this “opinion piece.” This will be the last time I willingly contribute anything to the Orion. In the past I have been happy to be interviewed by student journalists on campus and have provided many budding journalists with my time and energy so they could work on their craft and skills. I will not contribute to anything related to the Orion so long as Roberto remains on staff and the Orion continues to peddle trash such as this. I will encourage other faculty to do the same. I will not be a willing participant in my own dehumanization and degradation

Sincerely,

Lindsay Briggs, Ph.D., MPH
    Health and Community Services Department.

[Reply]

Bobby Jo Reply:

With all due respect, what “harm” is being caused? Surely we’re big enough to acknowledge and disagree with someone’s opinion. Yes, he may have a radical worldview, but he isn’t out physically doing anything that’s actually harming anyone by posting this article. If you think an opinion column on a crappy school newspaper is going to lead to a major epidemic of rape and pillage, you’re sorely mistaken. He’s entitled to his opinion, and it’s the choice of any individual to read, agree, or disagree with his opinion. If one is “hurt” simply by the words of a random individual, the person being “harmed” has some deeper and more serious issues.

[Reply]

Athena Murphy Reply:

A key element of rape culture is trivializing the severity of the issue. If sexual assault isn’t seen as a big deal, it stands to reason there would a greater chance of sexual assaults happening. It’s not that the piece will CAUSE an epidemic, it’s that it’s symptomatic of a harmful culture already in place.

[Reply]

Zigg Reply:

However unprofessional you may find his journalism, I don’t see how boycotting the Orion would help. Not supporting students who do a better job at research and writing to work at the Orion will only encourage more unprofessionalism from the vein of opinion this author stems from.

[Reply]

Miles Reply:

Boycotting the Orion will do neither yourself nor the community here any good. Furthering any divide for that matter will do no good. Roberto has the right to share his thoughts however wrong you may feel they are. Taking it a step further, I’d say that on a university campus Roberto’s opinions here put him pretty deep into the minority in terms of his way of thinking. Your job, as an advocate for whatever you feel strongly, is to make your voice as loud as his. Luckily, the Orion is here to allow for that. Don’t blame the soap box for the opera.

[Reply]

Gray Sarinax Reply:

Hi Lindsay,

Question for you. Did you ever leave college? I see you have a PhD, yet you resort to threats and ‘feelings’ when confronted with ideas not in line with your very harsh and unforgiving view of the world. You strike me as an authoritarian. Chico State should immediately terminate you and remove GSEC. GSEC creates an unsafe campus climate.

[Reply]

34. David h on May 10th, 2017 9:37 pm

Roberto u are a troll and a moron

[Reply]

Senior at chico Reply:

counter the studies he cited, then

[Reply]

junior student Reply:

@SENIOR “counter the studies he cited, then” is that all you have to contribute to this?? Studies have been cited in the comments here MULTIPLE times, just as you asked. I will do so for you again in case you missed them earlier. Hopefully you will have some new information to create your next comment!

[Reply]

35. Alyssa on May 10th, 2017 9:40 pm

The fact that he had the audacity to write this is astonishing. Everyone who is defending him is the reason rape culture exists. His other pieces are trash as well. I hope he gets kicked off for this.

[Reply]

Senior at chico Reply:

counter the studies he cited, then

[Reply]

Billy Reply:

“Kick him off because his opinions don’t agree with mine.”

[Reply]

Chico State Senior Reply:

Its no longer an opinion if what you say harms others or puts other people in danger. There is a difference between between freedom of speech and hate speech.

The media has a responsibility to publish opposing opinions and perspectives; however, outright falsities are exempt from this responsibility.

If the opinions of this article were fact-based it would be different, but the sources used were biased and conservatively skewed. This means the sources used in this article are not credible and should not be used.

[Reply]

36. Heather German on May 10th, 2017 9:46 pm

This is a prime example of completely missing the point. None of these are myths. This article is dangerous and this person shouldn’t be writing for this publication.

[Reply]

Senior at chico Reply:

counter the studies he cited, then

[Reply]

Gray Sarinax Reply:

“This article is dangerous and this person shouldn’t be writing for this publication.”

Ah, the authoritarians have come out to play. Speaking authoritatively on what is dangerous or not. You aren’t by any chance in the social sciences, are you Heather? GSEC is dangerous and GSEC should be removed from Chico State. It is hate filled and produces weak minded individuals like yourself.

[Reply]

37. Sandra on May 10th, 2017 9:57 pm

Trolls in college. So perfectly timed to the end of school, so as to dodge the inevitable fallout of such obvious hatebait. It must have taken upwards of a half hour to research and compose your “opinion” while checking off nearly every Neo-Nazi talking point. OK. You accomplished your goal of annoying almost everyone with a soul. Enjoy your temporary notoriety. Perhaps you can hook-up with Milo Yiannopoulos, already almost forgotten.

[Reply]

Senior at chico Reply:

counter the studies he cited, then

[Reply]

38. Roberto Gonzalez on May 10th, 2017 10:20 pm

The day we stop expressing our opinions, freedom is lost. There are no enemies in the game of life but different opinions. If we begin censoring anyone who speaks not our language, then chaos ensue. As someone stated in the article earlier, there is nothing in this article inciting any attack on anyone. If your emotions get ahead of your reason, then stop and re-read the article and try to place yourself in the shoes of the writer so you may get a glimpse of what the real message is. Is not that what you are suppose to do to deeply understand someone else writing or opinion? In the ultimate sense the writer has no control of your feelings, emotions and reasoning. Hence, the turmoil created in the mind of those who disagree with the article is of their own doing, not of the writer of the article.

[Reply]

Chase Beauregard Reply:

Amen brother. Words are our best weapon in conflicts like this. When speech is suppressed, all that remains is violence.

[Reply]

Rose Thulin Reply:

The real message is that this child doesn’t have a clue about any of the issues he brings up in his article. Is there something I missed?

[Reply]

Gray Sarinax Reply:

“The real message is that this child….”

Calling what is basically a grown adult a child is truly a sign of a intellectually stunted individual. I hope you are not on campus.

[Reply]

39. Bobby Joe on May 10th, 2017 10:35 pm

Our experience in college is supposed to prepare us for the real world. Hate to break it to you, friends, but there’s going to be a lot of dissenting opinions in the real world. And no, censoring those opinions and making the world around you a “safe space” isn’t always going to be a viable option.

[Reply]

Athena Murphy Reply:

Dissenting opinions people can deal with. Getting sexually assaulted not so much. The article was indefensibly half-assed. If you are going to publically trivialize the severity of sexual assault on college campuses, have the decency to do you homework.

[Reply]

Bobby Jo Reply:

This article didn’t sexually assault anyone.

[Reply]

Athena Murphy Reply:

But it claim sexual assault wasn’t a problem on college campuses and used half-assed research to undermine an organization trying to support survivors and prevent the occurrence of sexual assault, thereby trivializing the severity of sexual assault and contributing to the harmful culture in which sexual assault occurs.

Gray Sarinax Reply:

NOOOOOOOO this article is dangerous and sexually deviant (like a third gender). It will sexually assault everyone on campus, Bobby Jo! If you don’t agree, it will sexually assault you too!

EVERY WOMAN IN CHICO HAS BEEN SEXUALLY ASSAULTED AND THIS ARTICLE WILL LITERALLY ASSAULT THEM AGAIN. LITERALLY!

40. Emily on May 10th, 2017 11:08 pm

This article comes off as the author trying to use GSEC as a vessel to voice his own political opinion. I don’t think debating about statistics is a compelling argument as far as rape goes; there is too much ideology surrounding it to just put it down with stats. Critiquing gender theory will also not work; “Gender” is in their name; it’s like getting mad at McDonalds for serving fries. The argument against systematic racism comes off as abrasive towards anyone who has a different opinion as the author. I don’t think people take kindly to language such as “screaming racism”…. definitely didn’t earn any brownie points there.
    This could have been such a great article because I do feel that GSEC does have a lot of real issues as an organization. I’ve seen very active members call people against cultural appropriation “racist and entitled pieces of shit” on Facebook. Not showing a responsible or civil leadership imo. As a person who falls in to the LGBTQ community, I feel unwelcome at GSEC and am scared to join because I feel I have different political beliefs than the organization. I understand most members of GSEC will be from the far left, but it is the “GENDER and SEXUALITY Equity Center”. Focus more on Gender and Sexuality please and thank you. I think these are some real issues GSEC tends to fall short on and I would’ve appreciated an article on those much more than I did on one that just argued against 3 political beliefs.
    All this being said, shame to the people who want to fire and ostracize the author of this article. While it is a weak article, just because it does not share your opinions does not inherently cause harm, violence, or the right to violate the First Amendment. Being aware of opinions that oppose yours can create critical thinking, better arguments, awareness, and diversity. I want to applaud the Orion and Roberto for publishing this article for most likely being well aware it was going to receive negative backlash. It is very important we protect the free speech of everyone, even those whose opinions we may find revolting.
    TL;DR … Article is faulty because the arguments are weak and not persuasive. Free speech is important, publishing this article was a good decision despite those offended.

[Reply]

Bobby Jo Reply:

Very well said Emily. Everyone wants to protect free speech until someone says something they don’t like.

[Reply]

Rose Thulin Reply:

No shame in my call out game ,lady. 😉

[Reply]

41. Scott Chandler on May 10th, 2017 11:51 pm

The writer’s grasp of what is statistically significant in a survey is on par with what a sixth grader knows about astrophysics. No offense to sixth graders intended. The writer is also clearly biased in his many faulty assertions and conclusions. This piece of baseless drivel should have been culled by the paper’s editors which makes them an accessory in his assault on good judgement and taste.

[Reply]

42. Support on May 11th, 2017 2:20 am

The funny thing is that everyone who is speaking out against this article doesn’t realize that it’s an opinion, it doesn’t actually attack any organization, and that the Opinion section, The Orion, and the Writer are all separate entities. Let the ridiculous college kids be scared of real world ideas, please keep writing Roberto and continue upholding the values of absolute speech. The Orion and it’s members deserve to be proud, also Lindsay Briggs is a sorry excuse for a professor. Refusing to actually educate people on an issue and coming after this author and organization should make you ashamed. Please do better, you educate our youths. If anything, I at least encourage you to be an adult.

[Reply]

Marianne Reply:

Some opinions are VERY dangerous. Telling people that rape culture doesn’t exist, and the rest of the article attempting to discredit gender and racial disparities will only further the rape and oppression that are already endured by too many people on our campus. The reason that many people like GSEC and Professor Briggs have to be so loud is that it’s the only way to get heard in an oppressive world. It’s not enough for women, minorities, and many LGBTQ+ members to simply “not be disadvantaged” and just do a good job. The problem with rape culture and systemic racism is that the systems don’t care about what you overcome. They care if you’re a white man. The oppression is dangerous, and too often takes the form of violence and sexual assault.

And dear “Senior” that won’t even identify yourself (even though we all know who you are), here are my citations (AGAIN).

[Reply]

Dissapointed Chico Alumni Reply:

Please write this in a letter to the editor at [email protected]. They need to hear this from multiple channels. His facts are wrong, your findings prove it, and they need to remove the article from their website.

[Reply]

Ian Douglas Lawrence Norman Mclean Reply:

To each and every person who makes the recommendation to write to the editor, know that the editor has replied to at least one person already who has written about the maleficence of allowing this hate speech to be published in the Orion.

The editor has replied dismissing these concerns on the basis of personal disagreements and freedom of speech. The editor is plainly and callously wrong. An accomplice in what is bordering on if not a hate crime.

The appropriate course of action at this point is to still petition the editor for a redress of grievances, You should all consult the Code for Student Rights and Responsibilities: https://www.csuchico.edu/prs/EMs/2008/08-040.shtml
    Bring grievances to the Dean of Students and other appropriately designated officials within the school governance.

In addition to this, if the paper does not respond to community concern appropriately then it is appropriate to elevate to consulting legal council for legal intervention and redress of grievances. Follow the recommendations and use the resources laid out in the CSUC Police Department brochure on hate crimes: https://www.csuchico.edu/up/documents/Preventing_Hate_Crimes_Brochure.pdf

SU, Chico Police Department
    (530) 898-5555

Butte County Victim Witness
    (530) 538-7340 or (530) 891-2812

Butte County District Attorney’s Office
    Victim Counselor
    (530) 538-6857

Community Legal Information Center
    (CLIC)
    (530) 898-4354

CSU, Chico Wellness Center
    (530) 898-4697

California Attorney General’s Office of
    Victims’ Services
    (877) 433-9069

Junior Reply:

Ian Douglas Lawrence Norman Mclean,

Holy crap you are a total fucking nutjob. Do everyone a favor and shut your mouth for the rest of your life. If you are in Chico, leave. You are the problem. These are words and you are advocating for attack. What we at Chico should be doing is:

STOPPING HATEMONGER RACISTS LIKE YOU. YOU ARE THE PROBLEM. YOU ARE THE RACIST. GSEC IS A HATE GROUP. SOCIAL JUSTICE COURSES ARE RACIST SEXIST BREEDING GROUNDS. STAND UP AND FIGHT THESE EVILS. WOMEN NEED TO STAND AGAINST THESE HATEMONGERS

Junior at Chico
    3rd wave feminism is cancer
    Fight the real racists, fight GSEC, fight the lies of ‘Social Justice’

Gray Sarinax Reply:

“Some opinions are VERY dangerous.”

Maybe for a professors paycheck. These types of organizations are dangerous and hateful.

[Reply]

Support Idiot Reply:

Doesn’t actually attack any organization? GSEC is in the title you illiterate moron.

[Reply]

No Reply:

Not attacking any organization? Are you illiterate? It says GSEC in the title.

[Reply]

weakargument Reply:

Please do better and educate yourself. Sure. Let Roberto write this garbage. Doesn’t make him any less of an uneducated fucktard.

[Reply]

43. Johnna on May 11th, 2017 3:19 am

Being a victim myself and reading this article makes me think a. You raped someone and don’t want to admit it was rape or b. You’re completely oblivious to the world and need some life learning before you start writing articles about things you know nothing about and cannot possibly be objective to.
    I hate this shit and hope that with the power of people and friends you never get the honor of writing ignorant pieces of garbage in the Orion again.

[Reply]

Bobby Jo Reply:

“You raped someone and don’t want to admit it was rape”

That’s a pretty strong accusation, no?

Forcing his opinion away from your line of site won’t make it go away.

[Reply]

Alexander Hamilton Reply:

Your opinion could be considered dangerous should we censor it?

[Reply]

Gray Sarinax Reply:

We need to remove Johnna from the conversation! We need to de-platform her! She has dangerous views and she may rape someone! Johnna is literally raping me right now we need to stop Johnna.

[Reply]

44. Chase Beauregard on May 11th, 2017 6:37 am

Here is a report from the Bureau of Justice Statistics saying that the rate of sexual assault among college students is 6.1 in 1000, and that half of these incidents occur off-campus. https://www.bjs.gov/index.cfm?ty=pbdetail&iid=5176

[Reply]

45. ECS on May 11th, 2017 7:25 am

How on Earth was this drivel given the green light by an editor? Factually incorrect, lacking in source material, and grammatically atrocious, to boot. How mortifying for a Cal State school to publish a piece that would have gotten someone laughed out of junior high.

[Reply]

46. LOL on May 11th, 2017 7:31 am

This is trash 😂 Fuck your opinion tbh. When your opinion silences the voices of those who experience traumatic events you should never open your mouth. For all my fellow survivors, let me just say, fuck you.

[Reply]

Gray Sarinax Reply:

This comment is raping me. Literally raping me. You need to be silenced. Like literally you should not open your mouth, LOL, you are a rapist. Why do you need to rape all these people. Rape.

[Reply]

47. Rose Thulin on May 11th, 2017 8:19 am

This has got to be the worst article I’ve ever read. How does a person who lacks fundamental writing skills and knows absolutely nothing about the topics being presented become the opinion editor at a well known university? Baffling. Shame on you, Chico State.

[Reply]

48. Alicia on May 11th, 2017 8:20 am

Roberto, just because you don’t believe in something doesn’t mean it doesn’t actually exist. You continue living in your bubble while the rest of us work on these real issues facing real people everyday. YOU’RE WELCOME.

THIS ARTICLE IS TRASH.

[Reply]

Criag Reply:

You could literally copy and paste this response to argue either side of the argument.

[Reply]

49. Alicia on May 11th, 2017 8:21 am

This is not free speech. Just because you can say something, doesn’t mean you should. Roberto is ignorant and misinformed on ALL of these issues.

[Reply]

50. Alex on May 11th, 2017 11:22 am

I don’t understand the purpose of this article. What harm does the GSEC cause to merit this kind of criticism? Furthermore, while the author identifies the three issues discussed as “myths,” he fails to prove through logical argument that they are not true.

1. On the topic of rape culture, the author attempts to refute the results of the “1 in 5” study. However, if you would so much as read the source article he refers to, you would see that 1 in 5 is accurate for forced sexual intercourse and other types of forced sexual or romantic contact, which all comprise rape. In any case, attempting to refute the results of a single study is not sufficient to deny the prevalence of rape on college campuses, especially because many victims never speak out due to fear of having their voices ignored by people just like the author of this article.

2. On the topic of gender and sexuality, I think the author should read about gender theory before attempting to formulate an argument that gender and sex are the same thing. Simply stating that gender and sex are equivalent, without making any attempt to acknowledge the definition of gender as the GSEC and most feminists define it, is not an argument against their position. It is just a statement of the author’s own uninformed belief. Additionally, after stating that gender and sex are equivalent and that there are only two genders, the author makes no further arguments about the implications of this information. So what if the author (and perhaps some researchers, although I could not find any corroborating opinions in the 150 page paper he cited) believes that there are only two genders? Why should the author’s belief dictate how other people should live their lives?

3. On the topic of systemic racism, the author should research the reasons underlying all of the phenomena that they stated. It is true that Asian- and Nigerian-Americans earn more on average than whites. It is also true that Asian- and Nigerian-American immigrants tend to earn more money on average before ever immigrating to the United States due to high barrier to entry for overseas immigration. But, it is also important to acknowledge that Asian-Americans have a higher degree of socioeconomic disparity than any other racial/ethnic group in the United States, so the average is not representative of the whole. On the four issues the author mentions, if the author did any small amount of research or reading he could easily find out that Latino and Black Americans are not dropping out of school, being unemployed, and having children out of wedlock by choice. These issues are the result of (and not the cause for, as the author misguidedly argues) system racism. People born into low-income, racially-segregated communities are at a higher risk for all four of these factors, as they are more likely to (1) be forced to work rather than finish school in order to support their families, (2) be denied employment by white employers, and (3) lack access to family planning services and contraceptives. (Note that the argument of being unmarried as the very article the author cites states that Latino children are more likely to be raised by two married parents than whites).

In all, I sincerely hope that the author reads my arguments and will actually seek the educate himself for the future. While I understand that this is an opinion article, an opinion without a rational and educated justification carries no weight. If the author wishes to actually understand the issues he is so passionate about, he will thoroughly research the other side’s opinion before reaching his own conclusions.

[Reply]

Junior Reply:

Alex, you literally raped me with what you wrote. I was the last womyn-x^3 in Chico to go unraped. No longer. Now every womyn-x^3 in Chico has been raped by the patriarchy.

I am literally shaking right now.

[Reply]

Facepalm Reply:

I’m sure your parents are are proud of how you are spending their hard earned money, Junior.

[Reply]

Junior Reply:

They are, I am learning an actually useful skill. Not Oppression Olympics let’s shutdown freedom of speech because some idiot is saying their feelings are hurt. Get the hell off campus if you are so sensitive. Go live in your parents basement.

GSEC is a hate group.

Junior at Chico
    3rd wave feminism is cancer
    Stand up to the ‘social justice’ hate groups

51. Matt on May 11th, 2017 11:54 am

This article is purposefully controversial. I doubt the author has these beliefs. He’s just trying to provoke a response.

Since this is an opinion piece, I would hope someone else that writes for the Orion would provide a dissenting voice in response. Otherwise, people will be quick to associate this sentiment with the Orion.

However, it may be too late and your future efforts may be seen as damage control.

If you need more advice, let me know.

[Reply]

Ashley Reply:

This is the best comment by far. Wish more people thought like you

[Reply]

52. Drew on May 11th, 2017 12:49 pm

Looks like someones opinion isn’t agreed with…weird. This must be a new concept.

[Reply]

53. TPS on May 11th, 2017 1:51 pm

You nailed it buddy! These snowflakes love to perpetuate a victim hood narrative even though facts don’t support it.

Disclaimer:
    There is no rape culture.
    There are only two genders.
    “White privilege” is a scapegoat.
    The wage gap is a myth.

[Reply]

54. Kaila on May 11th, 2017 1:55 pm

As an alumni member of Chico State I am deeply disappointed and appalled at the recent article written by Roberto Fonseca, “Debunking GSEC Myths.” I am by no means a linguist but it is overwhelmingly noticeable how poorly written this article is. It is riddled with grammatical error. But the real outstanding issue in this article is the content. I am aware this is written under the opinion category of the Orion, however, the language used is extremely offensive to many groups of people. It undoes what millions of people have been fighting to accomplish over hundreds of years. The article is anti-woman, anti-lgbtq+, and is blatantly ignorant. It is truly abominable that the Orion would allow an article like this to represent the University and its student body.

[Reply]

Criag Reply:

grammatical errors*

oh the irony

[Reply]

55. Criag on May 11th, 2017 2:27 pm

Gender, from a social science standpoint, refers to identity in regards to culture and society, not biological sex. Anthropological journals have been using this terminology for over 30 years.

http://www.jstor.org/stable/20170176?seq=1#page_scan_tab_contents

Your argument about sex and gender being synonyms is irrelevant and a mincing of vocabulary.

[Reply]

56. Student on May 11th, 2017 2:46 pm

I am appalled that The Orion would publish an article of this nature that is distributed on campus. This article is the reason that organizations like GSEC exist in the first place, trying to discredit an organization that promotes the well being of ALL students reflects poorly on the paper. The distribution of this article is perpetuating rape culture by trying to deny that it even exists .

[Reply]

Junior Reply:

GSEC is anti-free speech. GSEC advocates rape culture. GSEC separates the LGBT community from the rest of the student body. GSEC hates people of color.

[Reply]

57. Jessica on May 11th, 2017 3:55 pm

Shame on the Orion for publishing this garbage SHAME SHAME SHAME.

[Reply]

ryjo69 Reply:

Why is this article garbage?

[Reply]

58. why on May 11th, 2017 4:02 pm

This guy is going to be the editor of the opinion section of the Orion next semester. Please email the editing staff to express concerns over the type of malicious content this person has set forth in just this semester alone. Soliciting erasure and dangerous accusations against already marginalized groups is not an act appropriate of a newspaper (college-run it may be). This is not acceptable, and I am ashamed it is now attached to our campus’ name.
    This article is a prime example of rape culture – let the editing staff know how upset you are over this disgusting display.

[Reply]

59. Smendez on May 11th, 2017 4:17 pm

I shall write an article called “the earth is flat, up is down, and circles are squares: how anti-science movements opened the floodgates for outright lies in journalism.”

[Reply]

Smendez Reply:

Louis Mendez said that! This Roberto fellow proves he hasn’t the slightest idea about science.

[Reply]

ryjo69 Reply:

Wow, talk about a strawman argument smh

[Reply]

60. Gray Sarinax on May 11th, 2017 5:33 pm

There is no rape culture.
    There are only two genders.
    “White privilege” is a scapegoat.
    The wage gap is a myth.

There is no rape culture.
    There are only two genders.
    “White privilege” is a scapegoat.
    The wage gap is a myth.

There is no rape culture.
    There are only two genders.
    “White privilege” is a scapegoat.
    The wage gap is a myth.

There is no rape culture.
    There are only two genders.
    “White privilege” is a scapegoat.
    The wage gap is a myth.

There is no rape culture.
    There are only two genders.
    “White privilege” is a scapegoat.
    The wage gap is a myth.

There is no rape culture.
    There are only two genders.
    “White privilege” is a scapegoat.
    The wage gap is a myth.

[Reply]

No Reply:

You are like a child putting their fingers in their ears and yelling loudly. Are you even old enough to attend this university?

[Reply]

ryjo69 Reply:

Not an argument.

[Reply]

61. Junior on May 11th, 2017 5:41 pm

GSEC is a hate group that should be removed from campus.

It’s defenders advocate silencing of all other opinions, like the Nazis. GSEC is a Nazi organization that should be removed from Chico.

[Reply]

ryjo69 Reply:

Hey, let’s not try to ban things off campus. That’s what regressives do. GSEC is an organization that deserves to be criticized when it’s in the wrong; just like any other organization. As far as I can tell, GSEC hasn’t killed anybody, raped anybody, or set out to defame someone’s character on false premises (that is of course unless I’m missing something).

[Reply]

62. Chico State Senior on May 11th, 2017 7:12 pm

**Please reflect on your own privileges and educate yourself before publishing in the future**

[Reply]

Bobby Jo Reply:

So, please, how many privileges does Roberto have? Since you apparently know him so well.

I don’t see you up-at-arms about all the leftist-skewed (and incredibly poorly written) articles that tend to plague these columns.

Also, his words aren’t actually hurting anyone, believe it or not. He’s an opinion columnist. For a school newspaper. For a mid-sized public university. If this is the most dangerous thing in your world, you apparently live in a squishy padded room.

[Reply]

Freeze Peach Reply:

No, there is no difference between freedom of speech and hate speech. Our right to free speech is meant specifically to protect the contentious and controversial. This right may be abridged if someone calls for “imminent lawless action,” and that there’s a good chance that action will happen. This author has not done that.

Whether or not something is an opinion has nothing to do with putting others in danger. What a ridiculous definition. But you can win any argument by just changing what words mean, apparently.

And oh yes, such biased, conservative sources as the U.S. Department of Justice, NPR, and Time magazine. Come on, man.

Bottom line, in this country, we punish actions, not words and thoughts.

[Reply]

ryjo69 Reply:

Would you mind elaborating as to why the opinions of this article were not based in fact?

[Reply]

63. afeather on May 11th, 2017 8:18 pm

I’m sorry, does Chico State support hate speech? This is a joke, right? Who would let someone so ignorant publish something affiliated with taking a pride in diversity.

[Reply]

64. Embarrassed Alumni on May 11th, 2017 9:06 pm

Above and beyond the ridiculous content of the article, which is easily debunked, the entire Orion staff should be embarrassed by the poor quality of the writing in this piece.

I assume the author is a journalism student. A journalism student who doesn’t have the ability to write complete, grammatical sentences reflects badly on the entire Chico State community.

Where were the copy editors? Where were the faculty advisors? Where were the managing editors to explain why this piece was a bad idea? In real journalism, an opinion column is not an excuse to do poor research or spout nonsense to make yourself feel better. Always get sources that disagree with you – always be willing to be proven wrong.

It’s clear by now that the author cherry picked sources and data to support his Pre existing beliefs. That’s not journalism, and neither the Orion nor Chico State should stand behind it.

[Reply]

65. Bobby Jo on May 11th, 2017 9:06 pm

Gray, remind me to buy you a cookie at some point.

[Reply]

66. Concerned Student on May 11th, 2017 10:35 pm

I fucking hate my school. Not because of the content of the article, but for all these crybabies in the comments section. Grow the fuck up, we’re in college.

[Reply]

67. ryjo69 on May 11th, 2017 11:59 pm

Regarding the ‘1-in-5’ claim, the author, to my knowledge, isn’t being untruthful. The ‘1-in-5’ claim was based on a 2007 internet study with vaguely-worded questions, a low response rate, and a non-representative sample.

The debate here then is whether or not we live in a rape culture, and I think both points of view deserve to be heard, understood, and debated; not shut down and condemned simply because of disagreement with dissenting opinion.

I would recommend Christina Marie Hoff Sommers’ take on this one.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TZrzCAuiw7w&t=96s

[Reply]

68. ryjo69 on May 12th, 2017 12:00 am

As far as the ‘more than two genders is a myth’ argument goes, this, again, I don’t find to be inaccurate. However, I’ll disagree with the author’s views on how gender and sex are synonymous. We do use sex and gender differently, and even I can admit they’re not one in the same. That’s the reason transgender people exist.

Even if you transition to become male or female, your biological sex remains the same. But gender still isn’t how you identify yourself. That’s called personality. Somebody being feminine or masculine doesn’t change their gender. If you are comfortable with the body you were born as, you’ve got no reason to become trans.

Scientists have found that the brain of male-to-female transgender women match up with the brains of biological men to an extent and vice versa.

http://www.medscape.com/viewarticle/840538

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Transgender

So while they’re not identical, they do have similarities, which really does help to explain why some people have gender dysphoria.

https://geneticliteracyproject.org/…/matching-your…/

However, this plays into exactly why it’s argued that there are only two genders.

I’ll let Blaire White take it from here.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rnQbgShb6r8&t=304s

[Reply]

69. ryjo69 on May 12th, 2017 12:02 am

And to touch on the topic mentioned within the article, I’m just going to link these 3 videos. I’m not saying that the uploader in question is right or wrong, but I believe it is important to expose yourself to opposing viewpoints in order to better formulate your own.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7KSKARruwyM

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wAZMAULHwBs

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jfGciFH7BuI

[Reply]

70. ryjo69 on May 12th, 2017 1:45 am

Also, I think it’s important to mention that what you submit to the Orion isn’t always the exact same draft that gets printed.

I remember writing an album review for the Orion and upon reading the paper, my words were heavily tampered with. Not necessarily in a bad way, but enough for me to say multiple times to myself while reading it “…I didn’t write that…”

[Reply]

71. Soon to send my son to Chico on May 12th, 2017 6:15 am

Wow! My how college has changed. My son is soon to attend Chico. And I gotta say I’m very concerned. This is an opinion piece. So much hate from those that disagree with the article.

This article triggered so many of you. Why not just state facts (or opinions) on why you disagree?

Sad times ahead for our nation when our opinions cannot be expressed without being attacked.

Please explain how this article is hate speech? I don’t see it. But I’m open to hearing from those with varying opinions.

[Reply]

ADiggydog Reply:

Thank god our school didn’t take this article down. It seems even here at Chico, intersectional feminists think that their right to not be offended by other people supercedes everyone else’s right to free speech. You can tell how insecure they are in their positions because they shout down and personally attack (see above accusations of racism, sexism, homophobia directed towards the author) anyone who even calls their retarded logic into question.

Everyone I know who’s taken gender studies classes at this school thinks they are a joke, men and women alike. We can’t say it in the class because again, the children in these majors can’t bear to hear dissenting opinions or voices, and the teachers are very much the same way. But the silent majority, including from every minority group that this echo chamber of angry white women claims to care so much about, are laughing at these morons behind their backs. Stop trying to call people names and bully them into accepting your bizarre, twisted version of reality where everything is a race issue or a gender issue, everybody is oppressed, and white men are the devil. Everyone is tired of all the division this crazy cult has been trying to stir up in a desperate attempt to make itself relevant on the national scale, and we all wish you’d just fade back into obscurity where you belong and leave us in peace. If you want to fight for women’s rights, go protest the nearest UN embassy for their election of Saudi Arabia to the Women’s Rights Commission.

[Reply]

Junior Reply:

“angry white women claims to care so much about”

Exactly. It’s always completely deranged white women and weird as hell white guys.

[Reply]

72. Ashton Bitton on May 12th, 2017 10:27 am

While I really do appreciate the attempt at creating a publication that offers diverse viewpoints, this article has a couple of serious logical flaws as well as serious misrepresentation of sources cited. I’ll go through them in the order the article was written.

GSEC:

Throughout the article, Fonseca claims that GSEC members are putting out myths that are “widely accepted,” and “spreading false information to other members of the community” that “cause harm.” I think it is vital to provide cited instances of this behavior occurring. Nowhere in the article are links to this or GSEC itself in order to view their official stance on these issues, save the link to the Take Back the Night article.

Rape:

Fonseca claims “rape culture on college campuses doesn’t exist,” citing a YouTube video from PragerU that explains how the “1 in 5 women are raped on college campuses” statistic is false. While the PragerU video observes that “sexual violence isn’t a cultural norm in 21st century America,” it is still a pressing issue. Fonseca goes on to cite, “the real number is that one in 53 women are to be raped at college campuses,” and this is still, well, bad. I think an ideal statistic would be zero in 53 women are to be raped at college campuses. Out of 17,557 students at Chico State, 54% are female (http://www.csuchico.edu/about/chico-facts.shtml). Using this 1-in-53 statistic cited from the Department of Justice, that means 178 female students at Chico State have been raped at least once on Chico State’s campus.

Fonseca’s arguments supporting his claim that rape culture on campuses doesn’t exist is backed by documenting the statistical likelihood of rape occurring. Rape culture (n) is defined by Oxford Dictionaries as “a society or environment whose prevailing social attitudes have the effect of normalizing or trivializing sexual assault and abuse.” Rape (n) is defined by Oxford Dictionaries as “the crime, typically committed by a man, of forcing another person to have sexual intercourse with the offender against their will.” The fact that Fonseca uses lower rape occurrence statistics to justify that rape culture “doesn’t exist,” by the above definition, supports rape culture. He has trivialized the rape of some theoretical 178 female students at Chico State.

Gender:

For this section I think it crucial to first have an understanding of the definitive differences between “sex” and “gender.” The Oxford English Dictionary cites “gender” (n) as “intended to emphasize the social and cultural, as opposed to the biological, distinctions between the sexes.” The World Health Organization states that “sex” (n) “refers to the biological and physiological characteristics”

To sum it up,
    1. Sex – Biological characteristics
    2. Gender – Social characteristics
    Moving on. Fonseca cited an article describing a “Bill Nye the Science Guy” television show episode which aired in 1996 to back his claim of there being only two possible genders. The same article Fonseca cited (https://www.lifesitenews.com/news/bill-nyes-changing-science-from-two-genders-only-to-transgenderism) goes on just paragraphs later to talk about how Bill Nye’s attitudes around gender fluidity have since changed and can be seen recently as in an April 2017 episode of “Bill Nye Saves the World.” This episode “contained a crude song promoting transgenderism and the notion that gender can be changed.” Though crude, it got the point across. Bill Nye’s opinions on gender identity have changed in the last 21 years.

A quick Google search of “sexuality and gender identity” results in a link to some 1,170,000 scholarly articles, books, scientific journals, etc. Fonseca may not have found any scientific journals or other articles, but they absolutely exist. PhDs in Gender Studies don’t just sit around twiddling their thumbs all day after they graduate. Here are five articles published in scientific journals dating as far back as 1986 (the oldest I found was from 1901) that prove sex and gender are essentially completely different things.

1. Gender differences in sexuality: A meta-analysis (1993) http://psycnet.apa.org/journals/bul/114/1/29/
    2. Sexuality and Gender in Children’s Daily Worlds (1986) https://academic.oup.com/socpro/article-abstract/33/3/176/1733321/Sexuality-and-Gender-in-Children-s-Daily-Worlds
    3. Beyond the Binaries: Depolarizing the Categories of Sex, Sexuality, and Gender (1996) http://onlinelibrary.wiley.com/doi/10.1111/j.1475-682X.1996.tb00214.x/full
    4. Sexuality and Gender: Findings from the Biological, Psychological, and Social Sciences (2016) http://www.jstor.org/stable/43893424?seq=1#page_scan_tab_contents
    5. Sexual orientation differences in attitudes about sexuality, race, and gender (2017) http://www.sciencedirect.com/science/article/pii/S0049089X15300144

I could find more, but 1,170,000 articles are quite a lot to wade through. A website from the University of Mauritius on the course named Understanding Society lays the foundation of these concepts out pretty well, seen here: http://vcampus.uom.ac.mu/soci1101/431_distinction_between_sex_and_gender.html

As for the New Atlantic Journal study finding “no supporting evidence that there was more than two genders,” I think the article itself summarizes this entire section best by saying:

“Sexual orientation and gender identity resist explanation by simple theories. There is a large gap between the certainty with which beliefs are held about these matters and what a sober assessment of the science reveals. In the face of this complexity and uncertainty, we need to be humble about what we know and do not know.” (page 12)

Perhaps the reason why New Atlantic Journal couldn’t find that supporting evidence and GSEC “misconceives” the prospect of sexuality and gender is because of this “large gap of certainty.” Gender and sexuality are innately complex things that cannot be categorized into one of two things and marked off with a check. These are issues that need complex discussion.
    Race:

Fonseca specifically calls out Latino and African-American communities as those at fault for their disparity. Of course some individual work is required to bring oneself out of economic disparity, but it is naive to ignore the fact that, in the US, systemic oppression plays a role in the lives of all minorities. This results from things like a history of hundreds of years of slave ownership, or that interracial marriage only became legal in all US states as recently as 1967. The United States of America have come a long way in terms of racial equality, but we still have much more work to do. Organizations like GSEC provide students with the support and resources they need to be successful.

To be poor (adj) typically means to lack material possessions; namely money. According to the Merriam-Webster Dictionary, to be disadvantaged (adj) is to be “lacking in the basic resources or conditions (such as standard housing, medical and educational facilities, and civil rights) believed to be necessary for an equal position in society.” It is problematic for Fonseca to say the National Center for Policy Analysis “laid out four reasons on how to not be disadvantaged (sic) in the United States,” and then link an article which clearly states “How Not to Be Poor.”

On top of that, “How Not to Be Poor” is by no means a textbook solution to end all racial discrimination. The first two suggestions are well-grounded; staying in school and/or getting a job has been statistically backed and proven to be beneficial for those of any race. The last two, however, are problematic. Being married does not guarantee a healthy or fulfilling partnership, least of all one that is financially supportive. Not having children out of wedlock can be an issue when one does not have access to or has a fundamental belief against the use of contraceptives or abortion services, but that is for another discussion.

The Takeaway:

I can appreciate that Fonseca offered an opinion that might not be popular. I believe that freedom of speech is an incredible right and I do not take it lightly. That being said, I would urge Fonseca not take that freedom lightly either. As a journalist, it is expected that any kind of writing, even opinion articles, are evidence-based with journalistic integrity. I would say that this article is not representative of that integrity I expect from a publication; one through a California State University, no less!

A more fitting ending to the article could have been something along the lines of a call to action for GSEC to educate their members on the differences between rape, sexual assault, gender and sexuality, and race, for the university to educate their students on what rape culture, gender identity, and race issues are, and more importantly, for the community as a whole to educate themselves regarding these issues. Fonseca instead ended the article with a blanket statement associating his claims with this being “the reality of the United States.” This leaves me with more questions. Where does this statement come from? Is the reality of the United States that GSEC is causing harm to the American people as a whole by spreading falsities? How so?

Grammar mistakes aside, I would strongly encourage the Orion Editor-in-Chief to thoroughly review all staff writers’ work and seriously analyze the sources cited, the way in which they are cited, and the overall logical flow prior to publishing their articles.

Thanks much,

Ashton Bitton

[Reply]

John Crosby Reply:

A well thought out and articulate response. Good job.

[Reply]

Janell Reply:

Ashton, I very much appreciated your comment. This kind of writing does much to promote reflection and dialogue. Thank you for taking the time to share this.

[Reply]

73. Jerimiah Washington on May 12th, 2017 6:38 pm

When a certain question keeps getting asked, the response is to post links to articles that counter what was posted however, the articles themselves are opinion/post mortem pieces and not actual counter claims. I can back up one of the opinion’s claim with the schools own data:

From 2013-15 there were 28 reported sex crimes. These crimes included rape, fondling, incest and statutory rape. These are numbers that only cover university interests (the campus itself, dorms or properties owned/controlled by university affiliated groups, including frats and sororities).

If you look at just rape, the average between 2013-2015 is 6 per year. If you assume that all rapes were committed by a male (46% of the Chico student population or 7517 males in 2016) that means the ratio of a females being raped is .0008% – if we try to compensate for rapes that are under reported by assuming it was under reported by ten fold (10X) the number is .008% or 8/1000th of a percent. That’s hardly an epidemic or rape culture and nowhere near the numbers that GSEC often promotes.

And looking at the 1 in 5 number for Chico using the schools data – in 2016 there were 8825 female students. (1/5th of that would be 1,765). That means in a 9 month academic year for GSEC’s claims to be true, you would have to have 6.5 rapes on campus property DAILY. I think a number like that would get noticed and I certainly would consider that an absolute epidemic however………that’s not what the DATA from the school says.

http://www.csuchico.edu/up/documents/2016_annual_security_report-2-1.pdf

[Reply]

74. Roger on May 12th, 2017 8:27 pm

I might be missing something, where does in article, the writer Fonseca calls out Latino and African-American communities as those at fault for their disparity? Was it implicit or explicit?
    In addition, where is the article, “How Not to be Poor.”?
    and last, what is problematic in presenting what the National Center for Policy Analysis states and “How not to be Poor”.?

[Reply]

75. Bob on May 12th, 2017 8:38 pm

I think the article goes a tad too far, but I appreciate it being posted as it opens up a dialogue on this topic. chico state GSEC isn’t really whats important here, GSEC is just being used as an outlet for growing frustration surrounding the gender identity movement. Part of the problems is that the gender identity movement in some areas has been hijacked by a very vocal minority. What they should be fighting for is legislation to protect trans(or non cis gender identity individuals) in areas such as workplace discrimination/housing discrimination and fighting for increased rights. Instead they focus on bashing straight white men, fighting the patriarchy, and asserting their beliefs on multiple genders as fact. This has attracted attention from the alt right and extreme conservatives, who now lash out at every opportunity. Meanwhile, moderates sit on the sidelines, not wanting to weigh in on the issue because of all the hostility and accusations flying around.

[Reply]

76. Wanda Redman on May 12th, 2017 9:09 pm

This article touched a lot of sensitive nerves. Not a bad thing, Better to happen here on campus before getting out into the real world where nobody is concerned about your safe places and safety pins. I applaud the author, and no he should not be fired or censored because people are upset. Get over it, get over yourselves, get a backbone, get a box of tissues and dry your yellow makes me sad eyes.

[Reply]

77. Seattle Asian Conservative on May 12th, 2017 9:10 pm

Great article.

[Reply]

78. Student on May 12th, 2017 9:33 pm

Forget the political stance; your prose is terrible, you have no flow, and your writing is choppy. Not to mention all the punctuation and spelling errors.

[Reply]

dick hertz Reply:

whatever Mr. Belvedere. forget the english 101 class and try to dig deeper as to the content

[Reply]

79. Past student on May 12th, 2017 9:40 pm

Although this article is lacking in substance, what’s most disappointing to me is how terribly written this is.

An example being “Getting married. This can help by having people supporting one another and avoiding children being born prematurely.”

I presume what the author means is unplanned pregnancies out of wedlock which he uses as the next point in his argument. The author might be saying a support system prevents premature babies which is unlikely because his sources doesn’t talk about this.

Shouldn’t an editor have stopped this article from being published? Not because of the unpopular opinions but because of the terrible way it is written.

[Reply]

80. Richard Hertz on May 12th, 2017 10:18 pm

another great article by Roberto. Go baby, right on man, power to the people, you show those p/c sheep the real story. YES !!!!

[Reply]

81. Alexia herrera on May 13th, 2017 2:00 am

Let me just start out by stating the obvious. The writer of this article is a dumbass. Him and a lot of the rest of the people who commented on this make me very glad that I transferred out of this school. White people only recognize racism when it’s targeted against them but this nope not racist at all. Literally speaks out his ass. What a shame.

[Reply]

82. dick hertz on May 13th, 2017 9:57 am

fantastic non p/c article. God forbid someone really speaks the truth and reality in an academic setting. Those who oppose his right to say what he thinks are the real fascist. btw, lame letter by the CSU president. Just what you would expect from the liberal establishment.

[Reply]

83. Joe on May 13th, 2017 12:48 pm

I think it is awesome that he had the guts to actually state a non-PC opinion and back it up. Glad to see that there are students at colleges today who aren’t sheep following the PC world that Colleges ENFORCE in some cases, stifling any contrary opinions.

For the University to say in their email yesterday: “However, the views expressed in the article in question do not reflect the values of our University. We are an intellectual community characterized by reason, respect, civility, diversity, and openness of expression.”

Well, what the heck? You just threw him under the bus while saying you support him. His article was reasoned, respectful, civil, diverse, and expressive. But, it doesn’t reflect your values? Huh? Wow.

You just proved that you’re NOT open to other opinions AT ALL.

As an alumni I’m appalled at their reaction

[Reply]

84. ConservativeStudent on May 13th, 2017 12:53 pm

These comments are 100% proof that Liberal snowflakes are only tolerant of people who support THEIR views, and censor anyone who doesn’t agree with them! Kudos to this author for having the balls to speak for the other side. I am sick and tired of PC Liberal snowflakes controlling our educational institutions and brainwashing our youth into believe their false claims. The truth may not be pretty, but it’s the truth. They need to get out of their false little worlds and stop pretending that EVERYONE in the world, accept for Republicans is an innocent saint.

As a Republican student, I am the one who needs a safe place on campus! I am the one who fears physical or verbal attack from Liberals who will come after anyone who doesn’t agree with their views or agenda.
    I want a safe environment where EVERYONE can carry out their first amendment rights without fear of retribution.

LIBERALS are the ones who discriminate, only hiring Liberal professors and giving special protections and privileges to minority, trans, homosexual and illegal immigrant students.
    These safe places are nothing but places for illegal immigrants to get away with breaking the law, and spew hate speech about White males and Republicans.

100% agree that “Scholarly” articles written by Liberal snowflakes are NOT a reliable source, as they are only written from a Leftist view point. Conservative news outlets are the only sources you can trust for the truth.

That being said, I agree with EVERYTHING the author said. The sexual assault stats are greatly skewed, as in America, simply touching a girl on the arm can constitute sexual assault.

[Reply]

85. Dr. Anon on May 14th, 2017 6:40 am

Bravo! Don’t be bullied by the genetic defect left. Who on earth would want to do anything sexual with those uglies? This was a well reasoned opinion piece, supported by facts and logic. Leftists see people in three ways: victim, champion of the victim’s rights (usually how they see themselves) and oppressors (how they view you). Obviously this is an incredibly biased view of the world, but it is the kind of ignorance that is perpetuated among these fools. When will we start seeing men as victims? Ever talk to a guy who has been through a contentious divorce? It Is quite clear there is a bias against men. Why do we prefer non-white faculty job candidates? The claim that racism and sexism are institutionalized is quite silly in the face of this and the fact our own campus community is majority female. Men: don’t let the feminists break you down. Don’t ever stop being a man. Their penis envy shows through in many of these comments. I feel sorry for them. What a miserable life to be perpetually offended: even by well reasoned and supported opinion pieces.

[Reply]

Bobby Jo Reply:

Come on, now this is a bit out there. I have a distaste for extremism from either side.

[Reply]

86. Naomi Jackson on May 16th, 2017 10:23 am

Peace. We miss the critical components of these issues when we argue endlessly on the validity of statistical data. There can be arguments made with supporting sources, however questionable, for all sides. I found myself, instead, viewing these opinions a bit differently. Perhaps, some of you agree. For me, even one person who is raped is too much, and denying another’s sexual identity serves no one. More importantly, why do so many feel the need to deny others the truth they likely worked years to embrace?

Shouldn’t we all strive to ensure the inclusion and safety of each student and community member? Respectful discourse that affords every participant common courtesy provides concerned citizens a platform to process issues during these challenging times. Let go of what your parents and mass media claimed was truth. Dive deeply and be at peace with what you choose to accept as your reality. We all lose the moment we attack one another over warring ideologies.

[Reply]

• Debunking GSEC myths

Graduation breaks up students

• Debunking GSEC myths

OrionScopes: Week of May 15

• Debunking GSEC myths

Dead week killing students

• Debunking GSEC myths

Celebratory peanut butter pizookies

• Debunking GSEC myths

Off The Record | Episode 5 | GSEC and Sex Education

• Debunking GSEC myths

Shrimp alfredo pasta recipe for two

• Debunking GSEC myths

OrionScopes: Week of May 8

• Debunking GSEC myths

Sexual education forgets masturbation

• Debunking GSEC myths

Community college cuts down price of education

• Debunking GSEC myths

Off The Record | Episode 4 | Science March and Pioneer Days

Debunking GSEC myths