No nostalgia found in “Rainbow”

No nostalgia found in Rainbow

Kesha’s first album “Rainbow,” in over five years came out August 11, amid allegations of sexual assault from Dr. Luke.

The last time Kesha fans heard her vocals was in 2012-2013, with hits like “Die Young,” and “Timber,” featuring Latino sensation Pitbull.

This album feels more country and folk than her usual sound, which makes fans miss her old songs such as “Tik Tok.”

Now that time has passed, Kesha came swinging with her rendition of “Praying,” which directly discusses her sexual assault. The beginning of the album is where you will find her more pop-like songs such as “Let ‘Em Talk,” “Woman” and “Finding You.”

The real gem of the album has to be “Old Flames (Can’t Hold a Candle to You)” featuring Dolly Parton. This song was originally from Dolly Parton, but Kesha puts her own twist on the song.

The most memorable lyric from the song is: “But old flames can’t hold a candle to you, no one can light up the night like you do.” Whenever we see an ex-girlfriend or boyfriend it brings certain memories of the past, but if we develop a much better relationship then the future should be looked at, not the past.

If you expected to hear the same old Kesha from the early 2010s, then you will surely be disappointed. Kesha has grown up and she is making sure everyone knows how independent and strong she is despite the ongoing drama in her life.

I give this album a 2.5 out of 5 stars.

Jafet Serrato can be reached at [email protected] or @jafetserrato on Twitter.