Whitney Hall hosts wild dorm intruder

An intruder entered Whitney Hall and did not comply with normal check-in procedures. Photo credit: Orion stock photo

Ben Hacker

A male student at Chico State recently forced his way past the front desk of Whitney Hall, and onto the residence floors of the on-campus student-living facility.

The student is not a resident of campus housing, however, it is confirmed that he is a registered student. The male entered Whitney Hall at approximately 1 a.m. on Saturday, August 19.

On-campus dormitories have strict policies regarding entrance into the buildings. Only students living in the specific dormitory are permitted unlimited access into the building with the use of their Wildcat ID card. The students are allowed a limited amount of guests per semester, but any guest entering all dorms on campus, minus University Village, are required to show formal identification and be checked in by student desk attendants twenty-four hours a day.

The male did not comply with mandatory check-in policies and continued past the front desk and into the residence floors of the building. He did not comply with the resident advisors and proceeded to then force his way into the rooms of students living in the building.

According to a statement issued by the University Police Department, the student is being charged with resisting arrest and false imprisonment. Other charges may be brought up in the near future.

Among the already invasive crimes this student committed, he also was allegedly under the influence of cocaine and LSD. Whether this concoction of psychoactive drugs was the primary influence behind the actions of this person is not clear.

On-campus dormitories recently upped their entrance protocol to create a stricter and more astringent process for people to enter the residence halls. These more aggressive strategies were implicated due to issues in the past of similar nature.

This case of trespassing was one of two documented in campus affiliated residences over the past weekend. Reported by the University Police Department, a male, who was not a student, entered an on-campus sorority through an unlocked side door. The University Police Department urges everyone ”to remain vigilant of their surroundings and to ensure residence doors are locked at all times. For those living in campus housing, please continue to follow safety procedures.”

Ben Hacker can be reached at newseditor@theorion.com or @theorion_news on Twitter.