Fall semester brings 33 new faculty to Chico State

New faculty banner

Chico State saw the addition of 33 new faculty members at the beginning of this semester. Each one comes from a different walk of life, and to illustrate this, the Orion asked three of them to participate in a short questionnaire.

The three new faculty members that were asked these questions are Dr. Gwen Ricordeau, an assistant professor in the Criminal Justice Department, Dr. Robert Madrigal, a professor in the Finance and Marketing Department and Dr. Char Moffit, an assistant professor in the Education Department.

Question one, did you move to California for the position?

Ricordeau: “Yes, I moved from France.”

Madrigal: “I moved from Oregon, where I had been for the last 21 years.”

Moffit: “I moved from Maine. Before Maine, I lived in Las Vegas, Nev. for 16 years.”

Question two, how did you come to work at Chico State?

Ricordeau: “I was looking for a new job and Chico State was my first choice. The academic environment is great and the living conditions are wonderful.”

Madrigal: “I actually used to be a student at Chico State back in 1976, I was on the swim team. When the opportunity to teach here came up, I knew that I should take it.”

Moffit: “I came here because I felt it was a good opportunity. I am excited to teach a variety of classes. I also think there are opportunities to collaborate with colleagues on grants and research projects.”

Question three, what other universities have you worked at before coming to Chico State?

Ricordeau: “I taught at several universities in France for 15 years.”

Madrigal: “I worked at three universities before coming to Chico State. I worked at Arizona State, Ohio State, and Oregon State. I worked at Oregon State the longest, for 21 years teaching sports business”

Moffit: “I taught the last three years at a small state university, the University of Maine at Farmington, Maine.”

Question four, what classes are you teaching this semester?

Ricordeau: “I am lucky to teach the Criminal Justice Seminar. It is a nice class, with wonderful students.”

Madrigal: “I am teaching Sports Marketing, which involves learning how to successfully use business practices within the sports industry.”

Moffit: “I am teaching Access and Equity in Education, Teaching English Learners and Science Methods.”

Question five, what is something interesting or fun about you outside of class?

Ricordeau: “I am learning how to drive. I have never felt the need to drive before relocating to the US.”

Madrigal: “I still enjoying swimming to this day, and I am married with two wonderful, fully grown children.”

Moffit: “I taught skiing to three-year-olds for the past three winters at Sugarloaf Ski Area in Maine.”

Andrew Freeman can be reached at [email protected] or at @Andrew_LFreeman on Twitter