Go Vegan

Diego Ramirez

Diego Ramirez

Danielle Cortes

Since 2014, veganism has grown a whopping 500 percent just in the U.S alone, according to a report done by GlobalData.

Veganism is very trendy amongst millennials right now. Many social media accounts promote this healthy lifestyle. In addition, many celebrities are following this diet which gives inspiration to their followers.

Not only is it about trying to follow the trend, but a lot of people choose this diet out of compassion for animals, as others should too.

Some might argue that since the beginning of time, humans have become dependent on receiving their nutrients through animal consumption. However, as we evolve, this practice is being questioned because of the serious effects on our environment and health.

51 percent of our global greenhouse emissions is directly caused by the horrendous animal agriculture, according to a 2006 United Nations report.

Watching documentaries that depict the cruelty of how animals are being treated in slaughterhouses should make you think twice about eating that burger.

It is proven that you can get all your nutrients and increase your life expectancy by staying away from meat and dairy products.

It is a win-win situation. Even if you do not feel remorse for the animals, what about your health, shouldn’t that be enough to spark a change?

People assume being vegan means restricting yourself from a lot of foods, but you will be surprised to find that there are many substitutes and other options that make being vegan a lot easier.

Another common misconception of being vegan is that it is expensive. It does a cost a little more than a regular diet, but the extra money you are spending is worth it in the long run for your overall health.

We all know junk food is cheap because of its poor quality and low nutrient content. The same thing goes for health foods, it is beneficial for us and a bit more costly. Invest in your health.

A lot of restaurants and grocery stores have catered to the needs of vegans by offering a wide variety of products. You can find a vegan option just about anywhere.

Recently premiered on Netflix, “What the Health” justifies the science behind eliminating animals products out of one’s diet. Through extensive research, it breaks down myths and other commonly believed ideas against a plant based diet. One of the main points proven throughout the film is the link between diet and disease.

You do not need to eat animal products to be a healthy person. You can live a healthy life without it. This isn’t hard to understand.

Danielle Cortes can be reached at [email protected] or @theorion_news on Twitter.