Wildcats defeat Lumberjacks 77-67

Isaiah Ellis had a season-high 22 points to lead the Wildcats past the Humboldt State Lumberjacks. Photo credit: Andy Wilhelm

Despite the stigma of Humboldt State being difficult to play against and their incredibly loud arena, the Chico State Wildcats defeated the Lumberjacks by 10 points. The final score was 77-67.

With Saturday’s win, the Wildcats improve to a 2-1 overall.

Center Isaiah Ellis scored a total of 22 points and snatched four steals, which were career-highs for the senior. Guard Corey Silverstrom was able to drop 20 points and Forward Justin Briggs got his second double-double of his career, picking up 11 rebounds and scoring 11 points.

Beginning with a bit of stumble the ‘Cats made 14 of 37 shots and one of eight 3-point shots. However, their defense kept them in the game forcing nine turnovers, which allowed them to develop a 10-point lead of 36-26 at the half.

At the start of the second half, the ‘Cats quickly increased their lead to 41-26 with Silverstrom hitting a clean jumper from the top of the key, and junior Guard Nate Ambrosini depositing a 3-pointer.

The Wildcats lead continued to progress and although the Lumberjacks were dropping some 3s, it wasn’t enough to decrease the 10-point deficit.

The Lumberjacks losing this game leaves them with a 2-3 overall record.

The Wildcats will compete in their first home game Wednesday at 7:30 PM against Dominican University of California.