‘A Bad Mom’s Christmas’ is a mother-daughter movie

Mom’s from a Bad Mom’s Christmas stealing a Christmas tree.

A Bad Mom’s Christmas follows three moms Amy (Mila Kunis), Kiki (Kristen Bell) and Carla (Kathryn Hahn). It is a sequel from the first movie Bad Moms. As the holidays are rolling around, all of the main characters’ mothers are visiting. The movie follows the different relationships that each character has with their mother.

The movie was relatable in the aspect that the main characters’ mothers come into their homes and try to control everything. Amy, Kiki and Carla cannot handle this, so they make a vow to take Christmas back this year and do it their way. The main characters all at one point in the movie tell their mothers to leave them alone and let them be adults. The older moms are all hurt by this and they talk to one another about it.

Most of the jokes in the movie seem to be around sex. I thought it was funny at the beginning of the movie, but it gets old. For example, Carla meets a man at her job while she is waxing him and they continuously make jokes surrounding his penis.

There are also some stereotypes that we see in the movie. Amy’s mom Ruth (Christine Baranski) is controlling and wants to do everything her way for the holidays. Kiki’s mom Sandy (Cheryl Hines) is overly clingy–Sandy buys a house next door to Kiki and has pajamas with Kiki’s face on them. Carla’s mom Isis (Susan Sarandon) is neglectful and doesn’t have a close relationship with Carla.

The movie does have some nice aspects to it. All of the main characters have sincere apologies with their mothers towards the end of the movie. They all come to a compromise and decide that the best way to have Christmas is to just spend quality time together. Just like in every holiday movie, family is the most important aspect and that is what resolves the problems. This was the thing I liked most about the movie because it ties in growing up and relationships with parents.

A Bad Mom’s Christmas gets three out of five stars. The movie is relatable and has heartwarming parts, but I think that it could have been funnier and with fewer jokes about sex.

Jessica Castillo can be reached at [email protected] or @_castillojess on Twitter.