Party Favor’s ‘Tuned Out’ Tour takes Chico

The large LED graphics used to visually bewilder attendees of the Tuned Out Tour Show at the El Rey Theater. Photo credit: Alejandra Solorio

Dylan Ragland, best known as prominent bass DJ and producer “Party Favor,” returned to Chico on Nov. 15 at the El Rey Theater for his sold out “Tuned Out” Tour show featuring Bad Royale. The night consisted of a variation of original head bang-inducing trap and bass juxtaposed mashups of throwback-favorite rock hits.

“This past tour has been amazing,” Ragland said. “It’s been like a whirlwind. We’ve been nonstop. (Having my own tour) where this is my production, my vibe, my vision, people are paying their money to see me, and they are singing along to my music, is like next level.”

Party Favor’s galvanizing music has led to a multitude of headlining tours at some of the most recognized venues across the world. Most prominent hits such as “Bap U” and mixes with the distinguished Diplo, Flosstradamus and Valentino Khan contributed to Party Favor’s established and growing notoriety.

His music makes appearances on featured Blockbuster movies Vacation, How to Be Single, Neighbors 2 and hit TV show Ballers, Silicon Valley, NCIS Los Angeles and NBC’s Superstore.

The “Tuned Out” Tour show is Party Favor’s second performance in Chico. His set and production’s main feature was the contrasting obsolete television sets with flashy LED graphics visuals. Likewise to his set, he features new music influenced and mashed-up from songs he enjoyed in his childhood and the early 2000s.

party favor.jpg

Party Favor ends the night by taking a selfie with the crowd at the El Rey in Chico. This is his second time performing in Chico.

Photo courtesy of Epic Productions

The “Tuned Out” production heavily emphasizes Ragland’s originality as an artist. The obscure rapid-moving photoshopped flashing images of people doing odd things on the screen supplemented by his choice of songs exemplifies him “tuning out” other people’s influences from the Electronic Dance Music atmosphere.

PartyFavor

For it being the one of the last shows in his tour, Ragland finds traveling with little sleep one of the harder parts for an otherwise exciting journey.

“The hardest part is (the) travel and the fact that we aren’t even going to be in Chico for 12 hours,” Ragland said. “By the time we get in, do my show, I’m going to get two hours of sleep and head out at 5 a.m.”

Before each show and to keep the tour interesting and fun, Ragland ritually receives a mystery box full of goodies that he opens prior to performing. This time around he received a Smirnoff Ice bottle, an avocado with googly eyes and an assortment of other go-lucky figures. Each time it’s different to keep the excitement.

Ragland’s consistent collaborations with other key players in the dance music industry keeps his music relevant. His recent “Rake it Up” Remix with Diplo and Yo Gotti featuring Nicki Minaj quickly gained traction. Collaboration is essential as a DJ. Ragland is working on a new album but no further details were disclosed.

“I’ve been working at this for so long and to see people come out and throw their support that way and be there is amazing,” Ragland said. “I’m just trying to constantly make music that makes me have a good time and what i want to make. I’m glad that it’s been translating to (people liking) it.”

Alejandra Solorio can be reached at [email protected] or @alesolorio8 on Twitter.