Podcasts worth your time

Microphone at studio ready to go live. Photo courtesy of Getty Images- Contentworks

Rachel Reyes

During the Holiday season, many people travel. Those long flights, car rides and train rides are often accompanied by some music, a good book and even Netflix.

What some people don’t consider when traveling is listening to Podcasts. Podcasts are really great for listening to different ideas. They can provide someone with a long source of discussion and meaningful conversations about a variety of issues.

There are plenty that could keep you company during the cold, long voyage. Here’s a good top 5 in no particular order.

1. Alice Isn’t Dead is a new Podcast series from the team “Welcome to Night Vale.” If you’re looking for something eerie and a bit on the dark side, this is a Podcast series for you. It follows a truck driver searching for her wife who is long presumed dead. As the trucker drives across America, she will encounter serial murderers, towns “lost in time,” and a conspiracy that goes way beyond one missing woman. It’ll keep you on the edge of your seat.

2. Criminal is a Podcast series about crime, duh. It tells stories of people who’ve done wrong, been wronged or gotten caught somewhere in the middle. This is a true crime podcast that understands crime, with incredible sound design, marvelous writing and a boldness in the way it makes its choices.

3. If you’re looking for something humorous and relevant, 2 Dope Queens is a good podcast to consider. It is hosted by two women, Phoebe Robinson and Jessica Williams who invite comedians to do stand up and tell stories. In between breaks, the two women discuss race and their different taste in men.

4. If you’re looking to think about life in a different perspective, check out 99 percent Invisible. The podcast entails the design details we never think about in our day-to-day lives. Although many of the scenarios are often random and obscure, the moral of the story always illustrates a larger truth about the world we live in.

5. Now I haven’t listened to this Podcast myself, but it has been highly recommended by plenty of sites and friends. Serial is a podcast that tells one true story over the course of a season. While I’m still waiting for Winter Break to start it, here’s what the jist is, according to their site. It’s a series one must follow in order to understand the story. It is an investigative journalism podcast hosted by Sarah Koenig who narrates a nonfiction story over multiple episodes. The first season follows a long cold case of a high-school teen and the ex-boyfriend convicted of her murder. It’s compelling and a podcast that I cannot wait to begin.

If you’re ever getting tired of watching the same episodes on Netflix or playing the same album over and over again, then consider listening to some of these Podcasts. All are free and can be easily found on Apple Podcasts or youtube.

Rachel Reyes can be reached at [email protected] or @rachhreyes on Twitter.