Letter to: my pet back home

Dear Buddy,

Long distance relationships are real difficult especially because there is no form of communication, besides the occasional FaceTime chats which don’t even last too long and you most likely don’t recognize my face on the screen.

You are probably just confused as to where the familiar voice screaming your name is coming from.

Nonetheless, I really hope you somehow recognize my screeching voice as I obnoxiously repeat your name continuously in a very annoying tone.

I am sorry I could not bring you with me to college, we all know if I could have it my way, you would be here with me. But unfortunately, it would be an impossible mission considering they do not allow pets in the dorms.

I hope the family back home is treating you real well. Are they feeding you twice and rewarding you with those treats you when you behave? I hope they are giving you tons of attention and love!

It breaks my heart that I can not see you everyday, but I want you to know I am doing just fine and I am really enjoying the whole college life. Sometimes, when I am feeling down, I just wish you were here so you could cheer me up like you usually do.

Do not get me wrong, I definitely do not miss the maintenance aspect of having you around… cleaning your poop was always a real hassle and not very fun.

Honestly, I can barely fend for myself and it was very annoying getting nagged all the time to take you on walks or fill your water bowl up on the daily. Glad those days are over, do not take it personally, I am just too lazy for all of that. I think we all are to a certain degree.

Even though we are apart, it makes our times together even more memorable. You make coming home even more special when you jump in my lap and your tail wags I know you have missed me too.

It really sucks not being able to blame you for my missing homework assignments. The high school days of “my dog eating my homework” are long gone.

I wish you the best, Buddy and I always look forward to being reunited with you. I will see you very soon, and even though you can not read this because you are not human nor do we speak the same language, just know you are always on my mind. Ruff ruff!

Sincerely,

A Chico State Student

Danielle Cortes can be reached at [email protected] or @theorion_news on Twitter.