Contenders for NFL MVP

Carson Wentz is the current frontrunner for the 2017-18 MVP award this season. Courtesy of Getty Images

Mathew Miranda

With only five weeks left in the regular season, the race for the MVP award is heating up. Early contenders, were lost to injury, while other unlikely players have put themselves in the discussion. Here’s a look at the top five players leading the race.

1. Carson Wentz

Season Stats: 104 Quarterback Rating, 28 Touchdowns, 5 Interceptions, 241.5 yards/game, 60.2% Completion Percentage

Carson Wentz is the best player on the current best team in the league. which gives him the slight edge over number two on the list. The second-year player has surprised the league with a blazing start to the season and should the Eagles end the season with the best record in the league, Wentz will secure his first MVP.

2. Tom Brady

Season Stats: 111.7 Quarterback Rating, 26 Touchdowns, 3 Interceptions, 306.7 yards/game, 68.4% Completion Percentage

At 40-years-old, Tom Brady looks better than ever. Last year’s Super Bowl may have cemented him as the greatest quarterback in NFL history, but there seems to be no end in sight for the ageless wonder. Wentz and Brady are separating themselves from the rest and the award may come down to who’s team finishes with more wins.

3. Antonio Brown

Season Stats: 80 Receptions, 1,195 Yards, 8 Touchdowns, 14.9 Yards Per Reception

Antonio Brown is the only non-quarterback on this list and for good reason. He leads the league in receptions, yards, and is second in touchdown receptions. Brown is the catalyst to the Steeler offense, but faces an uphill battle to become the second receiver ever to win the award.

4. Jared Goff

Season Stats: 98.6 Quarterback Rating, 18 Touchdowns, 5 Interceptions, 269.5 yards/game, 61.8% Completion Percentage

After last year’s terrible rookie season, Jared Goff’s breakout season has been a revelation for Rams fans. He has Los Angeles first in the NFC West and leads one of the most explosive offenses. The Rams have finally found their star quarterback and he will be in MVP contention for years to come.

5. Russell Wilson

Season Stats: 95.2 Quarterback Rating, 23 Touchdowns, 8 Interceptions, 275.4 yards/game, 62.3% Completion Percentage

Russell Wilson has been a one-man show as he hopes to carry Seattle to the playoffs. In addition to quarterbacking the team, Wilson leads the team in rushing yards and rushing touchdowns, which speaks to the quality of the squad’s running backs. Seattle’s 7-4 team record lessens his chances of winning, but his value to the Seahawks is undeniable.

Mathew Miranda can be reached at [email protected] or @theorion_sports on Twitter.