Flooded Health Center repairs near completion

DSC_0986.JPG
The Student Health Center’s X-ray room reopened Tuesday after flood repairs were completed. Photo credit: Kasey Judge

As of Tuesday, the Student Health Center staff has had access to the space that was damaged earlier in November. Since most of their records are digital now, the Health Center will be readdressing the use of empty spaces were files used to be stored.

The Student Health Center had been under construction since Nov. 11, after a broken toilet valve flooded. The flood, as previously reported by The Orion, affected the X-ray room and records office. The custodial crew was able to stop the leak that night. In order to prevent further damage the crew placed humidifiers and fans in areas they felt they were necessary.

Students have had to go to North State Imaging to receive X-rays while the campus machine was down, but will be able to get them done at the Health Center when they return from break. When the damage first occurred the staff was unsure if the machines got wet, but an expert thought it would be best if they left the machines alone.

“We have someone coming in on Thursday or Friday of this week to hook all of this [the X-ray machine] back up,” Jill Cannaday, a nursing supervisor said. “So when we get back for spring semester we will be ready to go.”

Estimated costs for the repairs are anywhere from $63,000 to $87,000, as previously reported by The Orion. The estimated costs include the restoration of drywall, wallpaper, interior trim, paint, electrical, plumbing and carpeting. Official costs will not be known until the end of the week.

The center already offers many services for students and is thinking of offering massages and physical therapy in the empty space, according to Cannaday.

“I think it would be amazing if they provided it [massages and physical therapy] for the students who needed it,” said Kaleigh O’Brien, a freshman microbiology major.

It is not confirmed that the Student Health Center will be offering those services in the future. As of right now it is just an idea for the open space.

Megan Bowser can be reached at [email protected] or @theorion_news on Twitter.