Police identify and arrest shooter following lengthy investigation

A man police believe was connected to a vehicle shooting in Chico last month was arrested this week.

Chico police stated that Draven Paul Brannon-Thompson, 21, was identified after an investigation into the cause of a shooting in February. The original shooting took place on Feb. 21 around 3:45 p.m., at the intersection of West 6th Street and Walnut Street, according to a press release from the Chico Police Department.

Police received multiple calls from witnesses reporting that the driver of a 2-door silver sedan was pursuing and shooting at a tan colored SUV. Nobody was injured in the shooting, but one of the SUV’s rear windows was shattered and the vehicle sustained multiple bullet strikes.

The owner of the SUV was located at an apartment complex, who claimed that an unknown adult male started shooting at him after the two got into a verbal altercation. Following a lengthy investigation, police determined that Brannon-Thompson was the shooter based on surveillance tapes from multiple local businesses in the area where the shooting took place.

Officer Jack Ditty located Brannon-Thompson at a local business Sunday and arrested him without incident.

Brannon-Thompson is currently being held at Butte County Jail on charges of assault with a deadly weapon, firing a handgun into an occupied vehicle, firing a handgun in a grossly negligent manner, and for being a felon in possession of a handgun.

Josiah Nicholl can be reached at [email protected] or @josiah_theorion on Twitter.