How to flirt like a pro, build confidence

Photo credit: Briana Mcdaniel

Flirting can be a fun little game or, for some, it always just seems to be nothing more than a deathly embarrassing scenario.

Unfortunately, you can’t just go “accidentally” drop a stack of books in front of your crush and as they are helping you pick them up you brush each other’s hands and magically make some sort of connection and fall in love. Life is not just like the movies.

To flirt, all you really need is one thing, confidence. Building confidence can be easier for some than others but just like anything else, it can be perfected with practice.

You really have to be willing to put yourself out there and this can be achieved by showing off your confident side.

Here are some pro-tips on different methods of flirting that are guaranteed to have them believe you are all that and a bag of chips… because you are!

• Grab their hand and ask to compare hand sizes! Personally, this is my favorite because it is straightforward and we all know what happens next.
  • Make direct eye contact when they are speaking to you, give them your full attention. Even though it might make your cheeks blush up a bit.
  • Ask for their Snapchat code and start that streak.
  • Give compliments. Everybody loves getting their ego boosted so go ahead and tell them you love their eyes.

Fellow Wildcats shared their flirting tips and tricks:

Tom Height, junior

“I flirt by genuinely showing interest and caring about what the other person is saying.”

Romelo Thornton, sophomore

“To be honest, I do not really flirt because I suck at it.”

Isabella McKail, freshman

“I never needed to (flirt) because I am beautiful… so I never learned how.”

Savanna Garduno, sophomore

“Laugh at everything he says.”

Kaitlin Makiej, sophomore

“I flirt by accidentally making eye contact multiple times and hope they’ll make the first move.”

Crystal Gonzalez, sophomore

“The way I flirt is normally I’ll try to make jokes but I try to give a lot of eye contact even though it makes me super nervous. I also laugh a lot at their jokes even if they are not funny and I find it a lot easier to flirt when I have some alcohol in my system, it eases my nerves. I try and pat them on the shoulder or do little things but no full on contact because that would just make him uncomfortable, I would imagine. Another thing I do is smile a lot, but the smile just comes naturally of course!”

Flirting might be hard. But with a little practice, you can become a pro.

Danielle Cortes can be reached at the [email protected] or @theorion_news on Twitter.