No. 1 Wildcats shut out No. 2 Tritons improving record to 25-2 on the season

Cyrena Taylor at bat for the Wildcats. The senior finished with a double in each game against the Tritons as well two RBIs in game two. Photo Courtesy: Janna Weiss Photography Photo credit: Janna Weiss

The Chico State women’s softball team won both games of its double header Thursday night, shutting out UC San Diego 2-0 in game one, and following that with 6-0 victory in game two.

With the wins, the Wildcats maintain their No. 1 ranking in the California Collegiate Athletic Association, as well as their No. 5 national ranking.

Game one of the double header was a pitcher’s duel between Haley Gilham (12-1) and Robyn Wampler (13-3) of the Tritons. Gilham edged Wampler for her 12th win of the season allowing only two hits and no runs in her seven innings pitched to snap the Tritons 10 game win streak.

Wampler wasn’t far off of Gilham, allowing five hits and just one earned run.

Despite great pitching on both sides the ’Cats were able to get manufacture a couple late runs. An unearned run in the sixth broke the 0-0 tie in the sixth, before Amanda Flores led of the seventh with a double before a single and sacrifice fly by Kristin Worley scored pinch runner Shelby Burdette.

The ’Cats success continued in game two of the double header, shutting out the Tritons 6-0. Cyrenna Taylor and Bailey Akins each had two RBIs on the night. For Taylor, it was her second double on the day in the first inning to give Chico State and early 2-0 lead.

Akins two RBIs came in the third inning, when she hit her team leading eighth home run on the year. The power did not stop here, as in the seventh inning Claire Wayne hit her fifth home run on the year, to give the Wildcats an even 30 home runs as a team on the year.

Pitcher Naomi Monahan wasn’t far off Gilham, going all seven innings and allowing only four hits en route to win No. 10 and shutout No. 3 on the year against a strong Triton offense.

The Wildcats continue play tomorrow at 11 a.m. in another double header against the Tritons.

Katalina Santamaria can be reached at [email protected] or @katalinaleanet on Twitter.