Despite split Friday, Wildcats take series 3-1 in Shamblin’s milestone win

With the game two win Friday, Chico State Softball Head Coach Angel Shamblin tied Teri Rupe (1995-2005) as the winningest coach in Chico State softball history with 281 wins. Photo Courtesy: Janna Weiss Photography Photo credit: Janna Weiss

After taking the first two games against UC San Diego Thursday, the Wildcats split the double header Friday, losing game one 10-2, and rebounding with a 9-6 win in game two.

The game two win was a historic moment for Chico State Head Coach Angel Shamblin as she earned her 281st win since becoming the head coach at Chico State in 2010. She now ties Teri Rupe as the winningest head coach in Chico State softball history.

In the third inning of a scoreless game one, the Tritons racked up eight runs off of six one-out singles against Chico State starting pitcher Haley Gilham and this ultimately would be the deciding factor.

The ‘Cats were unable to inch their way back into the game, losing 2-10 in a game shortened due to the mercy rule.

Despite the loss, the ‘Cats were able to bounce back, winning 9-6 in game two. This time, it was both teams hitting the ball, as the Wildcats and Tritons combined for 21 hits in the game.

Karli Skowrup and Bailey Akins provided the power the Wildcats have shown all year. Each had a home run in the game two victory to put the Wildcats at 32 home runs on the season and Akins into double digits with 10 on the year.

Chico State (26-3, 21-3 California Collegiate Athletic Association) now heads to Turlock where they will take part in the Tournament of Champions Friday, Saturday and Sunday. The Wildcats will play six games over the three day stretch, beginning at 4:30 p.m. Friday against Chaminade and followed with a 7 p.m. matchup against Notre Dame de Namur.

Katalina Santamaria can be reached at [email protected] or @katalinaleanet on Twitter.