Man seriously injures homeless woman at Jesus Center

The homeless woman was pushed from the balcony of the Jesus Center and sustained serious head and neck injuries. Photo credit: Josiah Nicholl

A homeless man was arrested Wednesday morning after he pushed a homeless woman off a balcony at the Jesus Center.

According to a press release from the Chico Police Department, the initial report was that a woman had fallen. Police received a call around 3:50 a.m. requesting medical assistance at 1297 Park Ave.

Around 8:45 a.m, police received another call from staff at the Jesus Center, who informed them that the victim had actually been pushed off a balcony by a homeless man.

Police discovered in an investigation that the victim, a 57-year-old woman, was in an argument with another female at the Jesus Center when 22-year-old Brian Primes McCaskel interjected himself into the altercation.

According to police McCaskel threatened the victim with a tree branch, then shoved her from the balcony onto the cement below.

The victim was hospitalized and is in stable condition, and is being treated for serious neck and head injuries. McCaskel was arrested on charges of battery causing serious bodily injury, which is a felony, and booked into the Butte County Jail.

Police have no more information regarding the incident at this time, but encourage anyone that does to contact promptly.

Josiah Nicholl can be reached at [email protected] or @josiah_theorion on Twitter.