Man arrested following shooting incident

In the second shooting incident in Chico in two days, a man was arrested Thursday for shooting a victim multiple times.

The Chico Police Department received multiple calls around 4:45 p.m about a shooting at the La Vista Verde Apartment complex. Within minutes, more calls were received about a reckless driver in the area around E. 1st Ave.

According to a release from police, officers located a white PT Cruiser that was involved in a vehicle collision, headed northbound on Highway 99 at E. 1st Ave. The driver had suffered multiple gunshot wounds and was transported to Enloe Medical Facility, where he is currently in stable condition.

Police responding to the La Vista Verde Apartment incident discovered Smith trying to flee and detained him. They found a handgun near the area where he was detained, and later discovered that it had been stolen in a recent residential burglary.

Smith was arrested on charges of attempted murder, felon in possession of a firearm, possession of a loaded firearm in public, and possession of stolen property.

According to the release, it was later determined that Smith was told to shoot the victim by 19-year-old Christopher Lapp, who supplied him with the handgun.

Lapp was arrested on charges of attempted murder, possession of a firearm by a prohibited person, and possession of stolen property.

Josiah Nicholl can be reached at [email protected] or @josiah_theorion on Twitter.