Chico State cycling’s success leading to growth on the road

Malori Wagner making her way through the race at UNR for the mountain team. Photo Courtesy: Anthony Tran

The Chico State cycling club had its most members ever this fall semester for its mountain team and the road team is still growing for the spring semester.

Chico State is more known for its mountain team as last semester the team took part in nationals. Cyclist Ben Johnson took eighth in men’s downhill.

The club also had success in the omnium division of cycling. Omnium is a cycling competition that includes a number of different types of races and time trials. The club placed second as a team in the Western Collegiate Cycling Conference team omnium.

The other types of races for the mountain division are cross country, short track and downhill.

Bidwell Park is where the team practices during the fall semester, while in the spring, the team practices in surrounding areas in town and rides through other towns such as Oroville and Durham.

Chico State held its first race ever at Bidwell Park in the fall semester for the mountain division.

The road team is fairly new at Chico State. Last year was its first year and there are only six members currently competing in the road division for Chico State, mostly beginners.

“I hope they can expand to be as big as the mountain team and be able to go to nationals and to be really competitive,” said Anthony Tran, the team president.

Tran is a fourth-year member of the team and is currently in more of a leadership role after sustaining an injury.

“I’m hoping to get everyone to every race, be there to support them and hopefully to get out there and ride with them,” Tran said.

The road team has three more races on the year. On Saturday, the team competes in University of Nevada Reno Race Weekend beginning at 8 a.m.

The following race will be the WCCC Championships hosted by Stanford. The league’s championship weekend begins at 7:30 a.m. on April 14. The team will conclude its season with a race in San Luis Obispo for the Sea Otter Road Race Weekend on April 21.

For more information on the Chico State Cycling Club, visit their Facebook page.

Noah Enns can be reached at [email protected] or @NoahEnns21 on Twitter.