Wildcats softball finishes regular season on 22 game win streak entering CCAA Tournament

Pitcher Haley Gilham winding up for a pitch against San Francisco State. Photo Courtesy of Janna Weiss Photography

The Chico State softball team capped off season play with a four-game series sweep over San Francisco State, extending the team’s win streak to 22.

Following the weekend sweep, the Wildcats finish the season with a record of 47-3 and have secured their spot in the California Collegiate Athletic Association Championship Tournament this weekend as the No. 1 seed.

Over the four-game series, Chico State raked up 41 hits while allowing just 23.

Friday’s afternoon game was won in dramatic fashion when the Wildcats were trailing 6-2 and down to their final out. Amanda Flores stepped up with the bases loaded and hit a game-tying grand slam to send the game into extra innings. Flores then put the Wildcats ahead with a two-run double in the ninth inning, finishing the day with six RBIs. Chico State would win game two 10-6.

Friday’s series win was a special win for Coach Shamblin who celebrated her 300 career win as the Chico State softball head coach.

Following a victorious opening series against the Gators the ‘Cats looked to continue their win streak heeding into day two.

The Chico State offense struck first in game one of Saturday’s doubleheader. The Wildcats put up one run in the first inning, followed by three more in the third and one more insurance run in the sixth.

In game one, Gilham struck out nine while allowing just two hits. In game three of the series, she struck out 11, a new career high. After collecting her 23 win on the season, Gilham ties her own school record in single season wins and recorded a new personal record in strikeouts in one season at 148. She also recorded shutout No. 12 and 13, which leads all Division II pitchers in the National Collegiate Athletic Association.

Pitcher Sam Mulock had one of her strongest outings of the year, tossing 6 2/3 innings allowing no runs and six hits. She came in in-relief of pitcher Naomi Monahan in the final game of the series after Monahan allowed three runs in the first inning, recording just one out. Mulock’s performance earned her her seventh win on the year.

With regular season play concluded, Chico State looks to keep its momentum alive in next week’s CCAA Championship Tournament. They enter as the No. 1 seed and will take on No. 4 Cal State San Bernardino at 5 p.m. Friday in the double-elimination tournament hosted by the University of Pacific.

Katalina Santamaria can be reached at [email protected] or @katalinaleanet on Twitter.