101st Pioneer Day Parade presents theme of learning

President Gayle Hutchinson represented Chico State 2018 at the Pioneer Day Parade. Photo credit: Josh Cozine.

Hundreds lined the streets of downtown Chico Saturday for a tradition, this year themed with education – the Pioneer Day Parade.

A Disney princess, dressed as Aurora in full flowing-pink gown, kneeled and embraced a child, with other Disney princesses, Captain America and other superheroes surrounding her. Kelly Staley, Gayle Hutchinson, and Samia Yaqub, leaders of Chico High, Chico State, and Butte College, in order of appearance, cruised through blocked-off downtown streets lined with Chico residents, reaching out to youngsters.

DSCN1847.jpg
Crowds lined the streets Saturday morning to celebrate the 101st anniversary of the Pioneer Day Parade. Photo credit: Josh Cozine
DSCN1896.jpg
A performer dressed as Aurora from Enchantment Children's Party, kneels to speak to a young fan, Saturday at the Pioneer Day Parade Photo credit: Josh Cozine

This was the Pioneer Day Parade. Its theme: Celebrating the Chico Promise―A Journey of Learning Preschool thru Masters.

“I wanna see a lot of you at Chico State one day,” said President Hutchinson from the back of a convertible, standing and shouting over the crowds that lined the blocks of the parade route.

Hutchinson
President Gayle Hutchinson represented Chico State Saturday at the Pioneer Day Parade. Photo credit: Josh Cozine

DSCN1854.jpg
Samia Yaqub, President of Butte College, rode through representing Butte College, Saturday at the Pioneer Day Parade Photo credit: Josh Cozine
DSCN1849.jpg
Kelly Staley, Chico High Superintendent, led the procession after a Chico High student sang the National Anthem, Saturday at the Pioneer Day Parade Photo credit: Josh Cozine

The route followed 3rd Street, starting at Normal Avenue, and reaching Main Street, before heading South and looping the plaza.

More than 50 local organizations were a part of the parade. Local schools led the way, with cheer squads and marching bands from Chico High, Pleasant Valley High, Marsh Junior High, and more. Inspire School of the Arts and Sciences and other local groups then performed in the downtown plaza.

Several other local businesses and organizations also showed up at the plaza while the festivities took place. Food vendors including Gogi’s Cafe, and Gnarly Deli, along with barbecued burgers, chips and a drink offered for $5 by the parade organizers―the proceeds of which go to fund the next year’s parade―were offered alongside other food offerings.

DSCN1931.jpg
Members of Inspire School of the Arts sang and performed dance after the march, Saturday at the downtown city plaza Photo credit: Josh Cozine

Further information, a full list of parade entrants, as well as vendors and performers can be found on the parade’s website.

Josh Cozine can be reached at [email protected] or @joshcozine on Twitter.