Four reasons to stop social media stalking

Photo credit: Briana Mcdaniel

If you ever found yourself clicking on the @ mentions on a social media platform or browsing through a person’s Facebook to get to know them a little better, you may be stalking without even realizing it. Nowadays, the internet has become the biggest form of stalkers to track you, follow you, and research your likes and dislikes, according to SimpliSafe.

It’s common for stalking to happen. When has it ever been okay? Usually never. I mean there was never really anything wrong with you checking someone else’s media platform, but if you find yourself returning to a certain page repeatedly, then you may want to reconsider whether you’re stalking. If you are doing this, stop. It’s better to stay away from stalking people’s social media and here’s why.

1. You’ll most likely find something you don’t like

It could be the post, caption, photo or the comments people leave on a post, you may encounter something you don’t like. This can lead you to experience a roller coaster of emotions that you don’t need to be. According to Bustle, a study at the University of Pittsburgh School of Medicine found young adults who use social media more tend to end up unhappier.

2. Stalking one person leads to stalking others

This is where the mentions on Instagram or Twitter come into play. You find yourself clicking on one person’s tagged photos or posts on their profile, then clicking on their friend’s profiles, and then another. Before you know it, you’ve read the whole conversation between the person you follow and their followers. Not only that, but you’ve collected all the 411 on them while doing so. What a waste of your precious time.

3. Creating unnecessary low self-esteem

When participating in media platforms we find posts that may or may not say some good things but, on some occasions, we end up comparing ourselves to other people. I admit I’ve partaken on looking at my crush’s Instagram profile and checking the comments on some of his posts to see my competition. Either way, this is never a good idea because it can lead you to be judgmental towards other people and yourself.

4. Risking the double tap

By visiting and stalking other people’s profiles, you’re risking to accidentally like an old picture while you didn’t even want that person to know you were on their profile. Not only did you stalk someone but, you’re letting others find out that you’re stalking people! From experience, I have come to do this before and oh gosh, this is the most embarrassing feeling because once you like a post, you can’t take it back.

You don’t want to be a creep. Therefore, I suggest you think twice before choosing to click on your friends tagged posts or visiting a profile page whom you’re not friends with. Enjoy what is on your feed and consider starting a conversation with the people you do follow. Before you scroll through anyone else’s media ask yourself if you would be embarrassed if you accidentally liked one of their pictures. Or even then, steer away from your phone for a while. It’ll be a healthier choice for you.

Karen Limones can be reached at opinioneditor@theorion.com or @theorion_news on Twitter.