Chico State students overdose on alcohol, continuing trend

Sutter Hall, quieter Aug 23, the day after move-in. Photo credit: Kathryn Sykes

University Police was contacted by a Sutter Hall Resident Adviser for medical aid between 11:49 p.m. and 11:59 p.m. Wednesday. Two officers responded to the report.

According to UPD Sergeant Dale Glander, the two officers found the subject to be, “passed out and not responsive outside of Sutter Hall.” While on site the officers found another subject, also unresponsive, in the same vicinity.

Both were transported to Enloe Hospital in an ambulance for medical attention. No further information about their conditions was released.

“This response was for medical aid only. There are no victims, no perpetrators. There is no crime and no charges,” Sgt. Glander said.

This sort of event is not uncommon during the weeks after freshmen move into the dorms and start living independently for the first time.

According to the past activity section on UPD’s crime graphics website, alcohol related medical calls are common during the beginning of the school year. On Aug. 25, 2017, University Police responded to a similar call on campus where medical assistance was needed and alcohol was involved. On Aug. 28, 2016 there was another, almost identical, call for medical aid. In 2015 the same call took place on August 21.

This trend repeats almost every year as new students who are away from home for the first time take unnecessary risks with alcohol and put their lives in danger.

University Police urges all students, regardless of age, to be safe and smart and reminds students that alcohol is never permitted in university student housing.

Kathryn Sykes can be reached at [email protected] or @katesykes_orion on Twitter