Chico State student leads Movers for Military campaign

Addison Bedford holds a donation box located in Chico State CAVE office. Multiple donation boxes are located throughout the campus including residence halls and The Hub. Photo credit: Brian Luong

When Addison Bedford applied for her job at Two Men and a Truck, she didn’t expect the multitude of roles she would end up performing for her company. Although her official title is marketing intern, she completes the work of a public relations practitioner, social media director, photographer and operates as the leader of the company’s Movers for Military project.

“Movers for Military is a project in which we partner with local businesses and organizations to collect donations for local veterans in need,” Bedford said.

All of the proceeds for the project go towards VECTORS, a transitional facility that houses homeless veterans, and Chico State’s Office of Veterans Affairs. Bedford credits her meetings with veterans living at VECTORS as the reason for helping her understand the needs of those in Chico.

“That was a really eye opening experience,” Bedford said. “It was humbling to me.”

IMG_1934.jpg

Larry Langwell, coordinator at the Office of Veterans Affairs, was eager to work with Bedford for the Movers for Military project, after reaching out to him in September.

Langwell also serves as the president of the board of directors at VECTORS.

Residents at VECTORS pay $350 monthly for furnished rooms with meals included. VECTORS houses up to 15 veterans and provides services such as a community kitchen, computer and internet access and recreational activities. VECTORS assists in connecting their residents to programs within the community that help with financial services, mental health and job training.

According to Langwell, nonprofits, such as VECTORS, need individual and community aid due to their small budget of $50,000 annually.

“We survive off the donations of our community,” Langwell said.

Two Men and a Truck attempted to do similar projects in the past, but were unsuccessful due to not having the appropriate personnel.

Bedford has taken on the managerial role and, within a three month span, set up donation locations with multiple local businesses, including NutriShop and ScubaHut.

Additionally, Bedford reached out to her past colleagues at Community Council to set up locations within residence halls.The CAVE office and The Hub currently have donation boxes.

“Now that I’m here, I’m able to organize it and put it into play,” Bedford said.

donations.jpg
A list of donation locations for the Movers for Military project. Image courtesy of Two Men and a Truck.

Ike’s Place, one of the first locations to respond and host a donation box, is now collaborating with Bedford to develop an event called Music for Military on Nov. 2.

The event will host local musicians and relay a percentage of the proceeds towards buying supplies for veterans.

IMG_1939.jpg
One of the many donation boxes is located at Whitney Hall in front of the elevators. Photo credit: Brian Luong

Bedford appreciates the variety of her work. She utilizes a magnitude of skills, such as community outreach, event management and photography.

‘Going into a job like waitressing, it wasn’t fulfilling to me,” Bedford said. “This one is because I’m putting in this work, I have specific goals and I meet those goals.”

Donations in high demand include toiletries, new underwear, canned and dried food and women’s hygiene products. Donations will be distributed on Veterans Day.

Brian Luong can be reached at [email protected] or @brianluongorion on Twitter.