Wildcat of the Week – Karlie Garcia

Cross-country runner, Karlie Garcia, just earned her first CCAA runner of the week title this season. Photo credit: Caitlyn Young

Cross-country star Karlie Garcia has had a huge impact on the team and her efforts have earned her an All-American First team honor last season. She has made her mark in the record books as well, as she recently set a course record and finishing almost a minute faster than her closest opponent. This also happened to be her seasonal debut and her first California Collegiate Athletic Association runner of the week title of the season. Karlie Garcia’s presence lifted Chico above rival Stanislaus State and earned her this week’s Wildcat of the Week.

How did you first start running?

I first started running in seventh grade because I liked the science teacher and she said she needed some runners, so I gave it a try.

What are some of your biggest moments in cross-country?

Some of my biggest moments in cross-country were probably last year at nationals, when I got eleventh and the team placed fourth. It was really unexpected and we were super excited.

What are some goals you have for this season?

Some goals I have for this year are just to stay healthy and make it through the season healthy.

What do you do to prepare for a big run?

To prepare for a big run, you have to prepare mentally more than physically, I feel like. So, just kind of visualizing and staying focused and talking to your coach is the best thing to do.

Who are some of your biggest inspirations?

My biggest inspiration are my teammates because they work really, really hard. And when I was a little younger, I was really interested in running because of Jordan Hasay, so I’ve been following her.

How did you finally choose to go to Chico State?

I just kind of fell into Chico after all the schools I went to. And I just really loved Chico, and I love the family atmosphere.

Connor McPherson can be reached at [email protected] or @theGOATMcphers1 on Twitter.