Getting dressed to get taken seriously

Julianna.jpg
Julianna Eveland

As I walk to classes, maneuvering my way through the flow of people, I glance up and down to take in their appearance.

No matter where you go, you are going to be judged by your exterior first. Growing up we learned to not judge a book by its cover, yet we subconsciously make assessments of those we see before getting to know them.

Our outward appearance leads us to first impressions. Good or bad, they often have a huge impact on the way a person views you.

To begin to grasp the character of a person, I look over their attire first.

College is the gateway to our professional lives. Future coworkers and employees will critique every inch of your demeanor before even looking at your resume.

That being said, when I see people around campus in grimy looking pajamas, it really grinds my gears. Pajamas to school? That was a big day for us in the sixth grade, but this is college.

For those aiming to be successful in life, a big break isn’t going to come from showing up to class looking like you got dressed in the dark — which, considering the pajama issue, must be a ritual for some.

Dressing inappropriately doesn’t just hinder your own reputation as a professional, it creates a lack of professionalism in the classroom. Could you imagine if our professors showed up in sweats and a dirty T-shirt? We should give them the same respect they show us by putting in an effort to look laundered and reputable.

Plus, you never know who you are going to see or meet on campus. So with that in mind, dress like you might run into that sexy guy in your English class. Wear something clean to impress the girl you volunteer with at CAVE. Find a fresh ensemble to catch the eye of someone new on campus.

I’m not saying I don’t have days when sweats and slippers will be the only things getting me through the day, because I do. But I pick and choose these days carefully. If I do decide to go that route, I’ve found I actually have less motivation and energy on those days.

There are multiple benefits to dressing well. When I dress well, I feel well. When I receive a compliment on how I look that day it’s a major confidence boost. Nothing compares to finding a piece of clothing that really expresses my personality.

Regardless of all these things, taking your outer appearance into consideration each morning is simply something people our age should do.

The unfortunate truth that people will judge you based on your appearance should be acknowledged. With that in mind, dress as you want to be perceived.

By all means keep wearing pajamas to class, but to most people your look conveys an “I don’t care” attitude. But when you dress with class, at the end of the day, no matter how lousy it might have been, you can remind yourself, “Hey, at least I looked good.”

Julianna Eveland can be reached at [email protected] or @theorion_news on Twitter.