• A girl and her dog enjoy the blue cloudy skies and fresh air on a walk in Cannonville, Utah, appreciating the beauty of nature and calming energy it brings. Taken by Ava Aragon on July 29, 2023.

10 ways to celebrate Earth Day

• Photo of Katie Callahan, who ran the event. An art history major in her senior year, she is the single student employed by Wellcat Safe Place. Taken on April 18th, 2024

Affirmative consent: What is it?

• 2023-24 Chico State men’s golf team in front of Kendall Hall. Courtesy: Jason Haley/Chico State photographer

Chico State men’s golf prepares for upcoming conference championship

Playlist- Dive into disco with these 10 funky tracks

The film Saturday Night Fever featured a muti-platinum soundtrack that contains many of the disco tracks on this playlist. Image from IMDB.
The film “Saturday Night Fever” featured a muti-platinum soundtrack that contains many of the disco tracks on this playlist. Image from IMDB.

I love disco! Disco always gets a bad rep for no reason, but the ’70s disco era featured some of the greatest musical tracks that people still listen to today. The disco movement started out as an underground thing, which is funny to think that disco was underground at one point. It became mainstream in 1977 with the release of “Saturday Night Fever.” From then on, disco clubs were popping up.

Though the disco era may have faded out of popularity in the ’80s, it’s still a genre that is underrated and needs to be explored. So put on your white three-piece suit and get ready to strut with these 10 disco hits.

Disco Inferno – The Trammps

This song will automatically put you into the disco mood to tear the dance floor up with this track. Burn baby burn, indeed.

Boogie Shoes – KC & The Sunshine Band

Definitely not as fast-paced as some of the other ones on this list but it still gets the mood up and prepares you for what’s to come. Do what the song says and put those boogie shoes on.

I Will Survive – Gloria Gaynor

I picture people in the ’70s who just got out of a relationship would go to disco clubs and just sing this song at the top of their lungs. “I got all my life to live and I got all my love to give and I’ll survive. I will survive!”

If I Can’t Have You- The Bee Gees

Disco is not all about high energy all the time. Everyone needs a slow dance song and “If I Can’t Have You” fits the mold perfectly.

Chic – Le Freak

I don’t think I have to justify this one. It’s disco incarnate.

Shake Your Groove Thing – Peaches and Herb

This one has an explanation. I used to watch “An Extremely Goofy Movie” a lot as a kid. This was my favorite scene of the movie, where Goofy takes out the shy librarian and turns a college nightclub into a disco.

September – Earth, Wind, and Fire

I almost forgot about this classic disco track. Thank you, YouTube autoplay.

Chic – Good Times

I know I already have Chic on here but honestly, this song is a mood I aspire to be in every day. I’m also addicted to the “Good Times.”

Funkytown – Lipps Inc.

This song is just fun. Though it came out at the end of the ’70s, it was basically one of the disco’s last hurrahs.

https://youtu.be/s36eQwgPNSE

Stayin’ Alive – Bee Gees

Bee Gees again? Yes, Bee Gees again! No disco playlist is complete without this staple, the perfect strut music. Also, fun fact, the perfect rhythm to follow when performing CPR on someone.

This was a fun playlist to put together. I need to limit myself to 10 songs because I could honestly go on and on with this playlist.

Alex Coba can be reached at [email protected] or @ThatOneGuyCoba on Twitter.