Mid-Century classical music inspires modern musings

The audience enjoys a quintet Serenata in Zingg Recital Hall on Sunday afternoon, Feb. 10, 2019. The arrangement included string and horn accompaniments. Photo credit: Olyvia Simpson

The 19th and 20th centuries were brought back to life for a couple of hours through the joyful concert music of composers like Alfredo Casella and Erwin Schulhoff on Sunday afternoon.

The “Mid-Century Modern Vol. 2″ concert was presented by The Florestan Society Foundation and the Music and Theatre Arts Department of Chico State in Zingg Recital Hall. The arranged pieces included pianissimo melodies and staccato fortes, allowing the audience to enjoy duos and quintets arranged by four different composers.

Musicians included Chico State Music Department members; Ayako Nakamura playing the trumpet, Russell Burnham with clarinet, Barbara D’Augelli on the bassoon and Bradley Martin, the chair of the Music and Theatre Department, playing the piano accompaniment. The musical artistry of Town Quartet members, Mia D’Augelli on violin and Lewis Patzner playing the cello were also featured in the concert.

CelloViolinOPT.jpg
Mia D’Augelli and Lewis Patzner perform a Violin and Cello duo by composer Erwin Schulhoff on Sunday, Feb. 10, 2019. Photo credit: Olyvia Simpson

“Something we don’t get often here is string players,” Martin said, expressing his excitement for having the musical talents of Mia D’Augelli and Patzner as part of the recital.

QuintetOPT.jpg
Mia D’Augelli playing the violin, Lewis Patzner on the cello, Ayako Nakamura playing the trumpet, Barbara D’Augelli on the bassoon and Russell Burnham on the clarinet. The quintet performed an allegro Serenata by composer Alfredo Casella on Feb. 10, 2019. Photo credit: Olyvia Simpson

All of the instruments were highlighted with different pieces. One being a cello and violin duo, another was a sonatina for clarinet with piano accompaniment. The program also included a classical allegro with clarinet, cello, violin, trumpet and bassoon to liven up the Recital Hall on a normally quiet campus on Sunday.

Julia Daijogo, Phebe Cisneros and Jaik Hakkainen, all freshmen majoring in music education, attended the concert as their first of four performances they need to observe each semester as part of their major. Between the three students, they know how to play percussion, saxophone and clarinet.

studentsOPT.jpg
Julia Daijogo, Jaik Hakkarinen and Phebe Cisneros are all Freshmen majoring in music education. Daljogo plays clarinet and saxophone, Hakkarinen plays percussion and Cisneros plays saxophone and percussion. They attended the Mid-Century Modern Vol. Two on Sunday, Feb. 10, 2019. Photo credit: Olyvia Simpson

“I enjoyed the fourth movement of the first ensemble,” Cisneros said. The violin and cello duet was titled “Moderato” and was played by Mia D’Augelli and Patzner.

The students all had Nakamura as a professor and enjoyed watching her perform on stage. She has been playing the trumpet since she was in fifth grade and received her BA in trumpet performance from Chico State before attending Western Michigan University to receive a master’s degree, according to the concert program information.

“Ayako is one of my favorite people,” Hakkarinen said.

“Something audiences aren’t used to is paying for their concert tickets,” Burnham said. The money doesn’t go just to the box office but the music department.

PianoClaOPT.jpg
Bradley Martin and Russell Burnham perform the Sonatina for Piano and Clarinet by composer Joseph Horovitz in Zingg Recital Hall on Feb. 10, 2019. Photo credit: Olyvia Simpson

“We can now fund things in the department that normally were not funded before,” Burnham said. He also added that they don’t know if patrons needing to purchase tickets is temporary for the semester indefinite.

For more upcoming concerts and events, visit the University Box Office. You can also find more information about Chico State’s music and theater department at https://www.csuchico.edu/muta/index.shtml

Olyvia Simpson can be reached at [email protected] or @OSimpson15 on Twitter