A single’s guide to Chico State social life

It’s cuddle season. That is, it’s cuddle season if you have someone to cuddle with. However, for a large portion of us cuddle-less Wildcats, “single” is a word that doesn’t seem to be going away in our lives any time soon. But worry not! Being single has its benefits and if you’re looking to rock the social aspect of being single, we’ve got you covered. Here are some tips for those looking to put themselves out there, whether or not you’re looking for a lifelong bae.

Dating Apps:

Dating apps are great because you can control how other people see you and it’s easy to put your objectives out in the open so there’s no more awkward “what are we?” talks on the third date. If you are looking just to have some fun, upload pictures that show off your casual side, like sports pictures or you out with some friends. Also be sure to keep your bio short and to the point - the mystery is sexy (at least in my opinion). if you’re looking for something more serious, upload pictures that speak more to your professional side, like you in a fancy suit or a snazzy pic reading at a coffee shop. In your bio, tell a bit more about yourself because you want to attract people who have similar interests as you. Animal pictures and cute selfies are always welcome, no matter what you’re looking for on dating apps.

Fun Classes:

If you’re looking to find someone to date in your advanced chemistry class, you might find it harder than if you’re enrolled in something a little more social. Kinesiology and art classes are great for not only getting a moment to destress during the week, but they’re also another way to vamp up your social life without all the awkwardness of going to parties or bars to flirt. We have found success in yoga classes, ceramics classes and creative writing where people can show off their flexibility, strong hands and intelligence. Trust in the process and you’ll be meeting people in no time. If there’s no time in your schedule for these classes during the day, taking up a class at The WREC or joining an intramural sport are other great options for meeting people.

Night Life:

The “classic” way to go and meet other singles is going out. The nightlife in Chico has a way of bringing people together in intense romance and flirtation. However, there is a finesse to the art of partying as a single person. If you are looking for a casual encounter for the night, head to more popular bars or frat parties. Not to stereotype but these places usually have loud music, lots of dancing and often cheap drinks. If you want to meet a lot of people in a short amount of time, these are the places for you. On the other side, places like Oasis bar or The Hub on campus have a more relaxed vibe with an opportunity to get a good conversation in over a game of pool or Mario Cart. Even hanging out at your house for a movie night can have potential because your roommate’s boyfriend might bring their cute friend over and you can smoke weed, watch nature documentaries and steal flirty glances. You’ll have a cuddle buddy in no time.

Good luck out there!

Kendall George can be reached at [email protected] or on Twitter @kendallmgeorge