Scuba diving preview at the WREC

Rich Astley was monitoring the diving, wanting to give students a glimpse at scuba diving Friday afternoon at the Wildcat Recreation Center. Photo credit: Julian Mendoza

Chico State students had a glimpse of the world of scuba diving at The Wildcat Recreation Center with the scuba workshop. The class was taught by Rich Astley, a scuba instructor at Chico State.

“We want to introduce as many people to the underwater world as we possibly can,” Astley said.

Once students entered the water, they fitted equipment to fit their body size. Participants were also given a brief walk-through on how to use the air cylinder. Eric Simmons, another scuba instructor at the event, also taught signals for underwater communication with “Ok” and “thumbs up” hand signals.

IMG_1293.PNG
    Eric Simmons wearing the different equipment used while diving. He swam with the students and taught them how to use equipment and use hand signals Friday afternoon at the Wildcat Recreation Center. Photo credit: Julian Mendoza

Laura Schroerluke was one of the participants at Friday’s event.

“I was actually just hanging out at the pool I didn’t know about and I saw all the scuba gear set up and it was free lessons so I decided to give it a shot,” she said. “This definitely did make me want to take the class.”

Astley said that students can learn more about diving through the beginner scuba class, KINE 125.

Julian Mendoza can be reached at @Julianmtheorion or at [email protected]