Wildcats get “Last Chance” to compete before tournaments.

Lyndsey Settle running a sprint at University Stadium, Photo Courtesy of Sports Information

The Chico State track and field team got a final opportunity to prepare for the California Collegiate Athletic Association championships when they competed in the Yuba Last Chance Invitational Saturday.

They Wildcats had a strong day overall as a team and won 11 of the 21 events that they competed in.

The team did particularly well in the women’s hurdles events, winning both the 100 meters and 400 meters. Adelaide Freeden and Dani Olson placed in the first and second spots in the 100 meter while MacKenzie Deeter and Kylie McCloskey placed in the first and third spots in the 400 meter.

The Wildcats also dominated the women’s discus throw event. Alana Ochoa took home first place closely followed up by Taylor Nevitt and Michelle Flint. Kyndall Vargas placed fifth in the event.

Nevitt, Ochoa and Vargas also did well in the hammer throw event and earned the second, third and fifth spots.

In the javelin throw, Flint and Nadia Torkman earned the top two spots of the event while Freeden placed fifth.

The Wildcats also took home first place in both the men’s and women’s high jump as Torkman and Seth Miller won their events. Ben Lewis and Brandon Gentles earned the second and third place spots in the men’s high jump while Heather Pendleton placed third on the women’s side.

The team also won both the men’s and women’s pole vault event. Five of the top six women’s vaulters and two of the top three men’s were Wildcats.

Chico also won the men’s 4×100 meter relay, an event that they have been successful in throughout the season.

The Last Chance Invitational wasn’t the only place that Chico State competed Saturday. Some of the Wildcats raced at the Mt. Sac Relay meet, Beach Invitational and the Bryan Clay Invitational.

This weekend’s meets gave Chico a chance to get some late season experience in and prepare for the important events in the coming weeks. The Wildcats will be competing in the CCAA Championships on May 2 and the Oxy Invite/Stanislaus Last Chance Invitational May 11 before they head to the National Championship tournament May 25.

Matthew Ferreira can be reached at [email protected] or @MattFerreira__ on Twitter.