Wildcats sweep at the Division II West Region Volleyball Showcase

The Chico State Wildcats line up before their home game against Sonoma State in this archive photo. Photo credit: Ricardo Tovar

Chico State brought the heat to La Jolla in the Division II West Region Volleyball Showcase. On Thursday, the Wildcats swept Montana State University Billings and Saint Martin’s University clean.

Only six sets were played that day for Chico State, as they showed no mercy and beat both their opponents in just three sets each. The scores of the first game against the Yellowjackets were 25-16, 25-15, 25-21.

While the Montana State Billings put up a greater fight during the third set, the Wildcats stood their ground and came out with a win.

Throughout the game, Chico State demonstrated their aggressiveness at the net. Outside hitter Grace Shepherd had 12 kills, middle hitter Kim Wright had 11 kills, and outsider hitter Bekah Boyle had 10 kills; contributing to a team total of 45 kills.

Not to mention libero Brooke Fogel’s 18 digs and a total of 60 team digs against the Yellowjacket attackers.

After winning their second game of the season, the Wildcats felt ready to take on Saint Martin’s in their following game later that evening.

Keeping the momentum going Chico State experienced a bit of déjà vu but this time against the Saint Martin’s Saints. Again, the Wildcats cleared the table in three, sending the Saints packing early.

Just like history repeats itself, games repeat themselves. With 45 total team kills this game, Chico State was slamming balls into the ground left and right. The box scores were finalized at 25-17, 25-10, and 25-23.

The Saint’s put forth a stronger battle throughout the third set, but the Wildcats did not let any matches slip from their grip. An outstanding 39 assists by setter Brooke Ono put the Wildcats into offensive mode and allowed them to rally up points at the net.

It’s all evened out with an overall conference record of 3-3. The Wildcats look for their third sweep against Academy of Art on Friday, Sept. 13 as the D2 West Region Volleyball Showcase continues.

Karina Cope can be reached at [email protected] or @KarinaICope on Twitter.