President’s Fall Reception Kicks off Academic Year

Kendall Lawn pulsed with music on Friday for the Fall Reception, an event where President Gayle Hutchinson discussed her new strategic plan for the university. The plan centers around three main priorities: equity, diversity, and inclusion; civic and global engagement; and resilient and sustainable systems.

“This academic year ’19-’20 is a new beginning. One thing I like about school years is the sense of renewal at the beginning of every semester and the sense of culmination of graduation we have in May,” Hutchinson said.

The event was hosted by the president’s office to kick off the new academic year and welcome back students, staff and faculty.

“What I think is really special about this plan is that she brought a lot of stakeholders into it, so she consulted with many groups and we’ve developed different strategies that kind of over-arc all of our initiatives that are upcoming this year,” said Associated Students president, Trevor Guthrie.

President Hutchinson welcomed guests and outlined some of the plans she has for the upcoming year.

“This year, with the launch of a new strategic plan and a new physical campus master plan, we are going to take this incredible university that has been with notable reputation for centuries and change that to one that is perceived by the world as outstanding,” Hutchinson said.

The event had refreshments from AS Catering and there were games and other activities provided by the WREC.

Faculty members from a variety of departments were in attendance. Kristen Mahlis from the Multicultural and Gender Studies department said she always makes time for this event.

“I think this is the only one that really all faculty kind of event so there is nothing quite like this in regards to like the convocation. This is really just a social event,” Mahlis said.

This was evident in the laughter and easy socializing throughout the event.

“We’re with some faculty, some staff and university administration kicking off the year getting everybody off to a good start and welcoming everyone,” Guthrie said.

Throughout the event, there was palpable excitement for the upcoming year and its potential.

“We can’t do this without each other and we certainly can’t do this without the support of students, staff and faculty. We are the Chico experience. We are the wildcat family,” Hutchinson said.

Carolyn Allen can be reached at [email protected] or on Twitter @theorion_news