Your alternative Halloween playlist

1. Bauhaus – Bela Lugosi’s Dead

This playlist begins with the iconic post-punk song from Bauhaus — an ode to the 1931 classic horror film, “Dracula”.

2. Nick Cave & The Bad Seeds – Red Right Hand

Regarded as rock’s true “prince of darkness”, Cave has always had an affinity for all things gothic. With his typical raspy voice and an eerie organ solo, Red Right Hand tells the story of a mysterious man in a “dusty black coat” that you’ll see in your nightmares.

3. The Horrors – Jack the Ripper

This one is a cover of a 1961 recording by Clarence and Charles Stacy, before being popularized in 1963 by English garage-rock musician, Screaming Lord Sutch. Referencing the unidentified London serial killer, the song was banned by the BBC upon its release.

4. Joy Division – Dead Souls

This song becomes darker if you consider that it was recorded right before singer Ian Curtis infamously committed suicide. The lyrics detail some of Curtis’ most despairing thoughts as he pleads, “Someone take these dreams away / That point me to another day”.

5. The Smiths – Cemetry Gates

“Cemetry Gates” is an intentionally misspelled song that recounts Morissey’s visit to a cemetery in his hometown of Manchester, England.

6. Echo & The Bunnymen – The Killing Moon

Famously featured in the 2001 sci-fi movie, Donnie Darko, “The Killing Moon” is a bit of an ambiguous song that may be referring to either death or an ill-fated romance.

7. The Cure – Fear of Ghosts

Though any song from The Cure could arguably fit on this list, “Fear of Ghosts” is particularly creepy as Robert Smith sings in a whisper dripping with reverb.

8. Talking Heads – Psycho Killer

“Psycho Killer’s lyrics include: Qu’est-ce que c’est / Fa-fa-fa-fa-fa-fa-fa-fa-fa-far better/ Run run run run run run run away. This song by Talking Heads has been associated with real life serial killer, David Berkowitz, also known as Son of Sam, as the murders took place in the bands’ residential New York City when the song was released.

pumpkin.jpg
Photo by NeONBRAND on Unsplash

9. Smashing Pumpkins – We Only Come Out At Night

This lighthearted addition sounds like the intro to a musical about misfit ghouls with a harpsichord a la The Addams Family.

Kati Morris can be reached at [email protected].