Reading is a last resort of entertainment for college students

Kristinamartinez.color.jpg
Kristina Martinez

With so much going on in a college student’s life, it can be hard to find the time to sit down and read something other than a textbook.

It seems reading for fun might be a thing of the past for students, even after they’re not too busy reading textbooks. According to research done in 2013 by StatisticBrain, 42 percent of college students will never read another book again after they graduate.

This seems unusually high and textbooks may be to blame for turning some students away from finding reading appealing.

Spending time in the library studying for hours can ultimately push students away from reading in general.

I enjoy reading for fun and always have, but some people are the complete opposite.

Reading for enjoyment is not only a good source of entertainment, but has other advantages. Reading expands your vocabulary and opens up your mind.

With so many shows on TV, now more than ever, and social media monopolizing students’ spare time, reading has become a last resort of entertainment to most.

But novels are not spitting a bunch of information at you to learn, like textbooks do. Novels tell stories. It is always good to try something new, or maybe something that was once familiar, and reading could be it.

Kristina Martinez can be reached at [email protected] or @orion_news on Twitter.