“Fall Speaker Series” to host four-time Olympian Daron Rahlves

Courtesy of Red Bull

Red Bull promotional poster for Olympian Daron Rahlves

The College of Business, Center for Entrepreneurship (CFE) and Collegiate Entrepreneurs Organization (CEO) have created weekly virtual events to help students network and ensure career success. 

Speakers are being sponsored by companies including Red Bull, Build.com, Morgan Stanley and the Global Entrepreneurship Network, to name a few.

On Aug. 27 at 6:30 p.m., CFE will be hosting its first ever “Fall Speaker Series” via Zoom. The fall schedule will feature a line-up of experienced speakers from several areas of the business world to help educate students on possible career paths in entrepreneurship post-grad. 

The first speaker, brought to viewers by the CEO Student Club, will be four-time Olympian, entrepreneur and Red Bull athlete, Daron Rahlves. Rahlves will share his experience and trials about turning his personal accolades into a business via Zoom. 

Olympian Daron Rahlves skiing

Chico State College of Business Dean Terence Lau will also speak at the event for welcoming remarks. 

Eva Shepherd-Nicoll, the New Director at the Center for Entrepreneurship,  said the series will provide students with virtual networking and business opportunities. 

Center for Entrepreneurship Director Eva Shepherd-Nicoll

“I think it is really important to expose students to all the different realms and principles of entrepreneurship — as well as things they wouldn’t normally be exposed to,” Shepherd-Nicoll said.

Topics will include  venture capital, business planning, team building and branding and marketing. Students will be able to participate in moderated Q&As with the speakers. 

Viewers will be able to listen and learn from entrepreneurs with Fortune 500 experience. 

“The students are going to have great opportunities to directly connect with business people this way,” Shepherd-Nicoll said. 

The series will also feature a monthly panel that includes presentations from Chico State alumni.

Anyone with the Zoom link can attend the event for free. The diverse line-up aims to expose students and others to all facets of the business world, according to Shepherd-Nicoll. 

“You never know what is going to spark your interest or affinity,” Shepherd-Nicoll said. 

Students will have the opportunity to interact with the series in three separate competitions hosted by CFE — which will include prizes such as grants, money, or an interview with venture capitalists. 

The competitions start with an  Elevator Pitch Competition in October. Winners will receive a small money prize. Analyze THIS, a business plan analysis competition, will award two to three winners who will earn interviews with venture capitalists. In December, the “Seed Innovation Challenge”— a business plan and pitch competition—will award the top winners up to $5,000 in grants.

More information about the event can be found on the CFE Facebook page or by contacting Director for the Center of Entrepreneurship, Eva Shepherd-Nicoll can be reached at [email protected].

Chloe Curtis can be reached on Twitter @ChloeCurtis__ or at [email protected].