Strength and conditioning club teaches healthy techniques

If flipping tractor tires or pulling a pickup truck sounds fun, meet the Wildcat Strength and Conditioning Club.

The club teaches proper technique and movements to local students and athletes, and its members are passionate about health and wellness.

Becka Shaver, president of the club, said it is a great way to gain experience. Shaver is currently in the master’s program for kinesiology with an emphasis on exercise physiology and strength and conditioning.

“For people who want to have a career in the strength and conditioning field, we’re helping them build relationships with other professionals in the field,” Shaver said.

Events held by the club are a Strongman competition, a speed and agility drill competition and class seminars for local junior high and high school athletes.

“We do technique training days before we have events because we want everyone to be on point with their form and technique,” Shaver said.

Because of the emphasis on technique and safety, there are prerequisites to joining the club, like taking a general strength and conditioning course, she said.

Dr. Steven Henderson is the faculty advisor for the Wildcat Strength and Conditioning Club. Henderson has helped local Chico athletes such as Green Bay Packers quarterback Aaron Rodgers and Olympic bobsledder Emily Azevedo.

Konrad Dahl, treasurer of the club, said his favorite part about being involved is helping the young athletes learn correct form.

“In high school, that’s where you really need to learn the safe way to lift and proper form,” Dahl said. “I wish I would have had a little more of that in high school. Having college students with their degrees would have been beneficial for an athlete like me.”

The club invites guest speakers and visits other training facilities to expand their knowledge, but many ideas are shared and taught at the club meetings.

“We have our meetings Monday nights, and it’s nice to see everyone and their different inputs,” Dahl said. “Maybe they’ve read an article and shared it. You learn something new everyday and that’s what makes it fun.”

Sergio Sanchez can be reached at [email protected] or
@sergechez on Twitter