The O-Face: Reaching the peak of pleasure

Michaelkarp.jpg
Michael Karp. Photo credit: Kasey Judge

Orgasms — once heralded as simply for procreation, these bodily phenomena are becoming a much greater priority in our sex lives than ever before.

Sigmund Freud denounced the legitimacy of the clitoral orgasm in the early 1900s but researchers, such as William Masters and Virginia Johnson and Alfred Kinsey, refuted Freud’s ignorance in the later 20th century. Science has worked feverishly to understand how we reach the highest heights of bodily pleasure.

Whether it’s with a partner or by taking matters into your own hands, having an orgasm takes a calm mind, an understanding of what turns you on, a strong buildup of sexual tension and an intense release.

Increased blood pressure, flushed skin, deep breathing, a pounding heartbeat and involuntary spasms can all accompany what we call an orgasm.

Orgasms are just as much psychological as they are physiological. But this is where the understanding gets murky and why science can only take us so far.

Everybody reaches their climax differently. The journey to orgasm and the orgasm itself changes from person to person.

I may prefer a certain position, rhythm or sexual act to stimulate me enough, and none of that may work for the next person, yet we may reach the same result.

Differences in gender also play a major role in orgasmic potential.

For example, contrary to popular belief, men can actually have multiple orgasms just like women, while it may be very rare.

The more common form of multiple male orgasms does not involve ejaculation, however, one man was observed ejaculating six times in 36 minutes without any apparent refractory or recovery period, according to a study at Rutgers University.

Understanding men’s orgasms seems to be pretty straightforward, with adequate stimulation of the penis being the optimal route to climax. Other paths include stimulation of the prostate and wet dreams.

However, knowledge of women’s orgasms has been perplexing researchers and the general public for some time.

Women can have orgasms lasting almost an hour. They can orgasm with and without ejaculation, and this ejaculation can sometimes far surpass the amount and velocity of a man’s.

Clitoral stimulation, vaginal G-spot stimulation, vulva stimulation and anal penetration are all common ways for a woman to reach climax. Even stimulation of the nipples and other sensitive parts of the body can induce a release of sexual tension.

While often involuntary, orgasms are a euphoric experience.

The rush of oxytocin, prolactin and endorphins into the brain creates a blissful relaxation. The connection felt with another person also entices this feeling and many more.

The key to understanding your own orgasmic potential is to experiment with yourself. Figure out what you like, don’t like and what works best for you.

You can communicate this to partners who may have the desire to provide this pleasure for you and who can teach you things about yourself.

A level of comfort with one’s sexuality can be built this way, as can a journey into realms of sexual experience that would have never been traveled before.

The highest heights of pleasure are unknown. But your own pleasure can be known and experienced at any moment.

Discover your orgasmic potential and experience this wonderful gift of life for yourself.

Michael Karp can be reached at [email protected] or on Twitter @_MichaelKarp.