Chico State must do more to combat drug problem

The annual Clery Report, released Oct. 1, shows that drug violations increased more than 300 percent from 2011 to 2012.

Chico State’s efforts to curb alcohol abuse were clearly successful, but the statistics indicate drug-prevention efforts need the same kind of drive and determination.

Referrals for liquor law violations saw a 36 percent decrease in 2012, dropping from 111 referrals in 2011 to 71 referrals last year. Four arrests for alcohol violations were made last ye

ar, down from 11 in 2011.

This decrease was likely prompted by the alcohol-abuse prevention programs that gained more prominence after five students died in Chico from alcohol-related circumstances in the last two semesters.

Efforts such as the Respect Chico campaign and banning alcohol along the Sacramento River during Labor Day weekend have greatly reduced our alcohol problems.

editorial7

In addition, the Campus Alcohol Drug and Education Center received a check from the friends and family of Brett Olson, the Cal Poly San Luis Obispo student who drowned while floating in the Sacramento River last Labor Day. The money was used to provide alternative activities for students during the float weekend.

The campus and community must use this same energy to combat the rising drug problem.

The Clery Report shows that there needs to be more action taken on campus.  CADEC needs to talk to Chico

State students about drug abuse just as much as they have been discussing alcohol prevention.

The city of Chico could also support more drug prevention programs in addition to their efforts to curb alcohol abuse. University Housing and Food Service could have resident advisers hold additional drug prevention discussions alongside their alcohol prevention programs.

By the Clery Report numbers, it appears as if Chico State is gaining the upper hand in its fight to shake its boozy reputation. But the drug problem remains a hurdle for our university.

With enough time, determination and focus, neither will affect the campus as much as they currently do.

Illustration by Liz Coffee.