No sophomore slump for softball slugger

Amanda Cordeiro, sophomore left fielder, prepares for her hit. Photo credit: Emily Teague
Amanda Cordeiro 1

Amanda Cordeiro, the Wildcats’ starting left fielder, is quietly putting together back-to-back solid seasons during her sophomore year.

A 2012 graduate of Marina High School in Huntington Beach, Cordeiro was a second-team All-Sunset League selection as a senior.

As a first-year, she started left field for the ‘Cats in 38 games in 2013. She was fifth on the team in RBIs and third in extra-base hits. Her batting average was .244 and she had a .311 slugging percentage.

Now, in Cordeiro’s sophomore season, she has put up impressive numbers to help the ‘Cats to a 19-17 record and 13-11 record in conference play, which has the team ranked fifth.

“She has put the effort and work on and off the field to become a better player,” said Angel Shamblin, head softball coach.

Cordeiro’s batting average has improved to .350 and she has a whopping slugging percentage of .470 halfway through the season. She is also sixth on the team in at-bat performance, with 35 hits, and standing third in RBIs, with 13.

“It feels great to have success early in my career,” Cordeiro said. “I always bring a strong mental approach and try to keep pitchers on their heels.”

Cordeiro is 5’6” and has a petite frame, which fools opposing teams when she showcases her strength. When watching Cordeiro play, outfielders will play shallow on her, which results in her beating the defense deep with the long ball.

“She has really good at-bats and has great pitch selection,” Shamblin said. “She is doing her job in all areas and it’s showing.”

The best thing about Chico is the college town environment, Cordeiro said. She also likes how the community is close-knit and positive.

“I have so much confidence in her when she comes to the plate and I just know I can count on her to get a clutch hit,” said junior shortstop Kelli Keefe. “She is so supportive, not only as a teammate but also as a person.”

Team chemistry plays a huge role in success.

“I love all the girls on the team and we have great team chemistry,” Cordeiro said. “I hope we can make a late push and make it to the top of the conference and reach the playoffs.”

Benjamin Marquez can be reached at [email protected] or @bmarq2424 on Twitter.