Warrior-princesses aren’t just for girls

Zachpillips.color.jpg
Zachary Phillips

Anyone who still thinks that a woman’s place is in the kitchen hasn’t stepped into a movie theater lately.

Battle-hardened heroines seem to be a growing trend in pop culture, which has me breathing a sigh of relief.

With characters like Katniss from “The Hunger Games” and Merida from Disney Pixar’s “Brave,” it is clear that pop culture is ready to give the warrior-woman her much deserved glory.

Many people have voiced ecstatic support for these fictional heroines, stating that young girls now have new and strong role-models to look up to.

Although I agree wholeheartedly, I can’t help but ask the question: why just girls?

While most young boys were playing with their Superman action figures, my childhood hero was of a different nature entirely.

Armed with a sword and her spinny, circle blade-thing, Xena the Warrior Princess was everything I looked for in a hero/heroine.

She taught me that someone can come from a complicated past and still do great things.

She taught me that strength doesn’t have to come from superpowers.

She taught me that some girls like to kiss other girls, and it isn’t a huge deal.

Strong heroines like Xena and Katniss don’t have to be girls-only role models. Their virtues, strength, and courage are universal qualities that any child can admire regardless of their sex.

Furthermore, young boys could really benefit from having a female idol, rather than choosing from the usual pantheon of male heroes. Through looking up to a strong heroine, boys will learn to respect women and acknowledge their strengths.

They will also grow more accustomed to seeing women in lead roles, rather than as token supporting characters.

This new rise of the warrior-woman is an all-around victory for today’s kids. With a more diverse pool of champions to look up to, young boys and girls will grow up free from the stereotypes that have limited past generations.

Zachary Phillips can be reached at [email protected] or @ZachSPhillips on Twitter.