Outkast is back, but no one cares

Kristinamartinez.color.jpg
Kristina Martinez

The crowd for Outkast’s opening weekend performance at Coachella two weeks ago was dead.

Spending hours standing, drinking, taking drugs and dancing in the hot desert is tiring, do not get me wrong, but when a group like Outkast comes together for a reunion concert they deserve all of the attention they can get.

The generational disconnect with music and the young people of this generation is sad. Many genres of music from the past are not appreciated today in the way they should be.

Most of my friends have never even heard of the music that my grandpa and parents raised me on. Whether it is classic rock or old school hip-hop, good music deserves to be appreciated.

Outkast has forever changed the game of rap with the lyrics and style that André 3000 and Big Boi brought to the table. Watching the entire Coachella performance online, I was disappointed to see that people were not as excited as I was to see the duo back on the stage again.

Twitter was blowing up with complaints on how boring the audience was during the entire performance.

Being 20 years into the rap game, when a duo like Outkast performs it is a big deal. Many people at Coachella were born when Outkast started and that might be where the generational disconnect comes into play.

Sometimes the reason good music is not appreciated is because it did not come out today.

Kristina Martinez can be reached at [email protected] or @kristinacsuc on Twitter.