• A girl and her dog enjoy the blue cloudy skies and fresh air on a walk in Cannonville, Utah, appreciating the beauty of nature and calming energy it brings. Taken by Ava Aragon on July 29, 2023.

10 ways to celebrate Earth Day

• Photo of Katie Callahan, who ran the event. An art history major in her senior year, she is the single student employed by Wellcat Safe Place. Taken on April 18th, 2024

Affirmative consent: What is it?

• 2023-24 Chico State men’s golf team in front of Kendall Hall. Courtesy: Jason Haley/Chico State photographer

Chico State men’s golf prepares for upcoming conference championship

Chico nostalgia alive at fourth annual festival

10695367_10201699475408508_832521085_n.jpg
The You Know You're From Chico Festival will continue to feature local musical acts this year, such as Charlie Robinson, pictured here on the guitar at a past event. Photo courtesy of Jim Secola

Pioneer Days, Scotty’s Landing, Upper Bidwell Park, Towne Lounge, El Indio Tortillas and crepes at Kramore Inn. These are some names that might ring a bell to Chico State students but resonate on a deeper level to those who call Chico their hometown.

The fourth annual You Know You’re From Chico Festival will occur Friday through Sunday. This year, event coordinator Jim Secola has prepared a three-day event and welcomes all who have a love for Chico in their hearts.

“I wanted to make it a three-day event because people are coming from all over the place,” Secola said.

Secola said he first called the event You Know You’re From Chico Reunion, but people assumed it was affiliated with the university.

“Everyone is always talking about negative things all the time, so this is just for celebrating Chico,” he said.

The weekend will start at 7 p.m. Friday at the El Rey Theatre with a showing of the 1938 movie “The Adventures of Robin Hood.” The showing will be free to guests, although donations are welcome.

“(The movie) was filmed in Bidwell Park, and you can totally tell,” Secola said.

The free festival will be in full swing 1-6 p.m. at Manzanita Place at the Elks Lodge Saturday. The day will feature art, food and music from local bands such as The Blue Merles, The Jeff Pershing Band, Charlie Robinson, QuasiMofos and Black Slax.

Secola said the event has never had a connection with Chico State, but for next year’s festival he would gladly accept student groups at no cost.

The last event of the festival is an 11 a.m. brunch at Scotty’s Landing on Sunday.

“Everyone is welcome to come,” he said. “That’s very Chico.”

1608505_10201699475488510_1162575699_n.jpg
A sample of the crowd at a past You Know Your From Chico Festival. The three-day event will take place Friday through Sunday. Photo courtesy of Jim Secola and Marli Diestel Photography

Emma Wood-Wright can be reached at [email protected] or @emmawoodwright on Twitter.