Men’s golf team climbs to fourth in final round

aff4243d-ba63-4cac-b3a3-b9c8a1c763c5 (1).jpg
Chico State golfer Alistair Docherty finishes his swing in an event earlier this season

[box]

Chico State at Otter Invitational

• Team score: Chico State 43-over par (4th place)
  • Individual Scores: Alistair Docherty 2-over par
  • Individual finishes: Alistair Docherty (2nd place); Lee Gearhart (22nd).

[/box]

Lee Gearhart and Alistair Docherty posted the low scores of the day to help the Chico State men’s golf team climb to a fourth-place finish at 43-over par at the Otter Invitational in Seaside on Tuesday.

The Wildcats, ranked fifth in the nation to start the tournament, began the final round in fifth place and stood pat there for most of the day before making a late push to climb past No. 1 ranked Berry and into fourth place.

Nova Southeastern, ranked second in the nation coming in, won the tournament with a 21-over par. The recently renamed Sharks were led to victory by individual champion Richard Mansell, who finished at 1-under par to hold on for a three-shot victory over second-place finisher Docherty. British Columbia finished second at 26-over, led by Evan Holmes and Conner Kozak who both tied for third individually at 4-over par. Tournament host Cal State Monteray Bay came in third at 28-over par.

Gearhart was the only competitor to post a score under-par in the final round, shooting a 1-under par 71. Gearhart posted an eagle and four birdies while climbing up the leader board to finish tied for 22nd. Docherty turned in his second straight second-place finish after turning in an even par 72 in his final round to finish in second at 2-over par. The junior All-American has now posted 15 top-10 finishes in 27 events as a Wildcat, including three straight to start his fall season.

Fellow All-American Justin Wiles entered the round tied for fifth before falling back into a tie for 13th after finishing his final round 8-over. The result was Wiles’ first tournament finish outside the top-10 this fall.

Freshman Ryan Roodzant shot a 9-over 81 Tuesday to finish his first team appearance at 20-over par in 50th place. Zachary Sardina shot an 82 to finish 80th at 29-over par.