CSU hires new Title IX coordinator

Thomason.jpg
Pamela Thomason, California State University's new system-wide Title IX compliance coordinator. Photo courtesy of CSU public affairs office.

California State University appointed a system-wide Title IX compliance officer Nov. 7.

Pamela Thomason’s hiring is the first-ever of its kind in the CSU’s fight against sexual assault and violence and improvement of student safety on all 23 campuses across the state, according to a CSU system-wide statement.

Thomason served as the sexual harassment and Title IX compliance officer at UCLA since 2000, according to the statement. Prior to her work at UCLA, she worked as an attorney for the Equal Employment Opportunity Commission, a branch of the federal government charged with upholding anti-discrimination laws.

“Pam is a well-recognized authority on this topic who brings exceptional knowledge and experience with her to the CSU,” said Fram Virjee, CSU Executive Vice Chancellor and General Counsel.

Thomason will work closely with Virjee and the Office of General Counsel, the legal advisement arm of the CSU system, to address issues of violence and sexual assault across the 23 CSU campuses, the statement read.

Thomason will lead training sessions with the coming campus-based Title IX coordinators and staff, spearheaded by California Governor Jerry Brown and CSU Chancellor Timothy P. White. Thomason will also make sure that the chancellor’s office and campus officials are up-to-date on the legal obligations and policies regarding sexual violence safety and privacy.

“Her work will be vital to expanding the education and training of students, faculty and staff to tackle the issue of sexual violence in our campus communities,” Virjee said. “Safety is a paramount priority on our campuses and Pam’s hiring is another step in working to ensure the safest possible learning environment for our students.”

David McVicker can be reached at [email protected] or @DavidPMcVicker on Twitter.