Covered California reaches out to Chico

image.jpg
    Volunteers at the Covered California sign up day, Jan. 25. Photo credit: Madeline Merlic

The Gender Health Center, located in Sacramento, has come to Chico to sign up people for Covered California.

According to a pamphlet given out at the event, Covered California is where a person can shop around for a private health insurance plan and get financial assistance, if qualified, to pay for that plan.

The Gender Health Center is working to promote Covered California for all in California but especially for those in the LGBTQ community, who they feel are often under-served in health communities.

Danielle Koss, a volunteer from the the center in Sacramento, was at the Chico Women’s Center on Sunday, Jan. 25 to help people sign up for a health plan. “Having a healthy population is beneficial for everyone,” Koss said in regard to who the health plan could benefit.

Open enrollment for Covered California through the center is going on until Feb.15 and walk-in’s or appointments are encouraged at either Stonewall Alliance Center at 358 E. 6th St. or at the Legal Services of Northern California office at 541 Normal Ave.

For more information about signing up for a plan, contact the Gender Health Center at (530) 521-2588, or email the center at [email protected].

Madeline Merlic can be reached at [email protected]